Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Report trike heat issues to NHTSA

Old 05-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Kyhog1
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Report trike heat issues to NHTSA

Last fall I burned my right calf while riding my trike at high speeds for several hours without ever touching the pipes. A trike dynamometer showed my trike was running slightly hotter than acceptable levels but Harley Davidson refused to fix this issue while the trike is under warranty. After spending about $2000 my trike is finally running cooler and more efficiently. Not only can you get burned, but the excessive heat can damage your engine. Of course this probably won't happen until after your warranty has expired. Nobody should have to spend their own money to get their trike to run properly. I have submitted a complaint to the National Highway Transportation Safety Board. If any of you are as mad as I am, go to the the www.safercar.gov site and file a complaint with nhtsb.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Diesel-Dawg
Tourer

filled out the same complaint for my 2011 TG. To all: you need your VIN and some other information when you go to fill the form out on line. Have your registration or insurance card handy, to save some time.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:50 PM
krw
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 05-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Rush Racing Products
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, just saw the linked thread!
As far as rider comfort is concerned...
We ceramic coat the inside and outside on all of our full systems, including trike true duals. This will result in at least a 300 degree reduction on the surface temp of the headpipe near the riders legs. I know that will not fix the any real problems or issues with individual bikes or the general trike design but it definitely will cool things down.
Ryan

Old 05-15-2011, 03:31 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyhog1
Last fall I burned my right calf while riding my trike at high speeds for several hours without ever touching the pipes. A trike dynamometer showed my trike was running slightly hotter than acceptable levels but Harley Davidson refused to fix this issue while the trike is under warranty. After spending about $2000 my trike is finally running cooler and more efficiently. Not only can you get burned, but the excessive heat can damage your engine. Of course this probably won't happen until after your warranty has expired. Nobody should have to spend their own money to get their trike to run properly. I have submitted a complaint to the National Highway Transportation Safety Board. If any of you are as mad as I am, go to the the www.safercar.gov site and file a complaint with nhtsb.
I was one of the early crusaders of filling a complaint with NHTSA. As you can see from the link that KRW posted; it was not a popular idea at the time. However, I think that opinions are changing and more owners have taken their heads out of the sand and are willing to take a stand against Harley.

In some small minded circles it may seem un-loyal or even unpatriotic criticize Harley. But in this case, I think the criticism is warranted. As I explained in my 12/09 post, I was a loyal six (6) time Harley owner, I always felt that they were an honorable company that would sand behind their product. Harley would not even admit that there was a problem and insisted that 300 degree engine oil is normal. I found that to be highly insulting!

I think that it is outrageous that an owner has to spend $2,000 to cool down the engine so that it is safe and comfortable to ride. Someone once told me to quit my whining and find a solution to the problem. Well, I have found a solution, it cost me $2,000 cool down my TG but at least it is now safe, comfortable and a joy to ride!

I encourage every Tri-Glide owner to file a complaint with NTHSA

Jim

Old 05-15-2011, 07:03 PM
Glyder
Road Captain

Done!