Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear turn signal relocation kit...

Old 05-12-2011, 09:24 PM
ranger6
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear turn signal relocation kit...

I have 05 fxdi. is it easy enuff for me to install the kit or should I have the dealership do it? I bought a pair of 9mnth old hd bags for a hell of a price!

Old 05-13-2011, 12:49 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Its an easy install, you can do it yourself if you don't rush and follow the destructions.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Stevea
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I originally bought the H-D turn signal relocation kit. The instructions seemed complete and pretty easy to follow but they required you to cut the wires and rejoin (solder) them when the turn signals were in the new location. You can download the installation instructions for the kit from the H-D website to get an idea of what's involved.

I found some threads on this forum that mentioned other relocation kits and ended up buying a kit from Great Bike Gear, which many people thought was very good. I returned the original kit to the dealer.

While it cost a bit more, the overall quality of this kit was much better than the HD kit. It included instructions on how to remove the wires from the connecter at the rear stop light (where the turn signal lights get their power) without having to do any cutting/splicing/soldering.

The kit also comes with a bracket & housing for your license plate which is where the turn signals get mounted.The instructions made the job very simple and the project came out very good. Here's a picture:

Attached Thumbnails rear turn signal relocation kit...-imgp4149.jpg  
Old 05-13-2011, 12:34 PM
AFblacksheep
Cruiser

The Great Bike Gear turn signals are fantanstic but I also bought the shorter standoffs to tighten everything up on the fender.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:34 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain

Another vote for the Great Bike Gear kit. Easy to install and looks great.

Originally Posted by AFblacksheep
The Great Bike Gear turn signals are fantanstic but I also bought the shorter standoffs to tighten everything up on the fender.
AFblacksheep: Don't know if you care about being legal or not... some states require the turn sigs to be a minimum specified distance from themselves and the tail/brake light.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:53 PM
ranger6
Cruiser

Ok Thanks! I will check it out... but I do have to ask- will I have to drop the rear wheel?

Old 05-13-2011, 05:12 PM
ranger6
Cruiser

well I checked that site out and purchased the relocation kit and the vid to install. not to much work. pretty simple infact. Big Thanks!

Old 05-14-2011, 12:05 AM
AFblacksheep
Cruiser

I would have to check state law but my standoffs are one inch shorter than stock.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Stevea
Advanced

Originally Posted by ranger6
well I checked that site out and purchased the relocation kit and the vid to install. not to much work. pretty simple infact. Big Thanks!
I think you will be happy with the Great Bike Gear kit as much as I and the others who posted on this thread are. Here's some advice that may make the install even easier.....

Getting the ends of the wires of each directional out of the connector at the brake light is tricky at first, but once one get the "feel" for it, it is simple. A service tech at my local dealer told me was to use a straightened-out paper clip to lift up the clip that holds the end of the wire inside the connector. He said to file the end of the clip so it is beveled and thinner. Once I did that, it took less than a minute to remove the wires and made it a simple job. If you do not bevel the end, the end of the clip is a bit too large to get under the clip to list. Great Bike Gear sends instructions on how to do this with the kit, but the diagrams they use are not as clear as they could be if this is your first time doing this job.

Once you get the directionals into their new location, you can insert the wires into the connector at the brake light by using the paper clip to lift the clip that will hold the wires, and insert the wire in place.

Be sure to test that the wires went into the correct connector so that when you turn on either directional the correct one lights up!

Other than that, the rest of the job is a snap....good luck!

Old 05-14-2011, 10:47 AM
obonaven
Road Master

Originally Posted by ranger6
Ok Thanks! I will check it out... but I do have to ask- will I have to drop the rear wheel?

No. If you want to have a little more room between the wheel and fender then jack the back of the bike up.

Also if don't remove more then one bolt from the same side at the same time or the fender may fall out of place.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear turn signal relocation kit...