Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heel shifter for a sportster

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 03:55 PM
gmerr2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy heel shifter for a sportster

Hey fellow Sportsters....Does anyone make a heel shifter for a 2006 Sportster Low? I have developed horrible gout in my left ankle in the last year that the doctors can't seem to do anything with and I have a hard time shifting. It's to the point that I can't ride my bike....which is a problem as I have no car. I do have a Vespa that I ride, it shifts with the left grip. I don't like riding it in rain and wind, though. The front cowl acts like a sail and it gets a bit dicey!!! If I had a shifter with a heel pad on it on my Sportster, I could just step in it either direction and it wouldn't hurt. I haven't been able to find one and I'm not equipped to make one myself....so I'm kinda stuck. Anybody have any ideas?

Old 05-13-2011, 07:06 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Use the search function on here for heel toe shifter for sportster and you'll find a couple threads. It's been discussed and there's a couple people on here that have it. Hopefully, they'll chime in.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:16 PM
rasaine
Advanced
Wink It can be done

I had a post on this forum about how to make a Heel/Toe shifter for a Sportster. But the moderators said I was breaking the rules because they thought I was trying to sell them; so the post was deleted.

In any case, I think the Low has Mid controls. My design is for forward controls, and will not work for Mids. Mid controls will present quite a challenge for fabricating a Heel/Toe shifter, but can be done.

If you want to look at the design I came up with for Forwards, here is a link:
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=716217
In post #26 of this thread there is an attachment with detailed fabrication instructions.

Sorry, I am not making these anymore, so please don't ask.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:32 PM
drift393
Stage I

Cant help ya with the heel shifter but for my Gout get it bad from time to time. Used 3/4 tablespoon of baking soda in 8 oz of water once a day. and a tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar in 4oz of water twice a day and it clears up after 2 days usually. Used to get it so bad couldn't even walk. Strange I know. When I first feel it coming on I do a baking soda and water and gone before it comes. Tad off topic but if it helps /shrug it helps.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:29 AM
boro
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

No info on the shifter, but I've had gout for 15 years, and it sounds like someone is giving you some bad info. Gout is high levels of uric acid that cause crystal like deposits in joints. Easy test. Colchisine is the medicine for acute attack (again, well known.) Allopurinol is the medicine for chronic gout, and if you have it, it's chronic (bouts will get more frequent and worse.) Also, usually going to show first in the big toe, but will go to distal joints and can even go into the spine. There is such a thing as pseudo-gout ... medicine is nsaids. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatories are also the treatment for another possibility - inflammatory arthritis that inflames tendons where they attach to the muscle. Prednisone (a steroid) can be used if the nsaids are not enough. Good luck, and get a better doctor. Try some Naprosen to see if that helps, it won't help if it is gout. Soaks in ice water and elevation also help the swelling.

Last edited by boro; 05-14-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:59 PM
gmerr2
Cruiser

I've had gout flares on and off, but it's gotten to the point that they're putting me on medicine. I started on it today. It's annoying trying to find something that will work with my BP meds. But it's seemed to helped a bunch already and I've been walking all day at work pretty normally. I'm gonna go try riding around some this evening and see what happens. I'm thinking of riding to Kansas City in about a month for the US vs Guadaloupe soccer game if I can get it under control for long enough. I'd love to ride my sportster and I'm not sure I want to ride my Vespa 1,500 miles in a week! lol

Rasaine...that is a sick shifter.....but you're right, my bike has mid controls....there's too much transmission in the way. Maybe I'll have to switch to forwards?