Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnostic code: no rsp

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:30 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Diagnostic code: no rsp

This afternoon, just before I got home, there's a straight stretch about a mile long and I cranked it up to 80 mph. Shortly before I was going to slow down to turn on my street the engine lost power for just a second. I slowed and turned into my driveway and parked the bike. As I was maneuvering the bike around on the patio, the idle became slightly elevated and I noticed the "check engine" light was on and I had no throttle response. I shut the bike off and checked for codes. I found P1511(Throttle actuator limited power management mode) and P2135(Throttle position sensor 2 correlation error). I accidently cleared the codes. I restarted the engine and it revved up normally til I cranked it up pretty good. The engine light came back on. I remembered reading here about the "fretting" of pins on the throttle body connector so I pulled the plug and looked for something amiss. I didn't see anything so I plugged it back in. I restarted the engine and pulled the plug. The bike immediately went to limp home mode(limited throttle response). I replugged the connector and went back to the diagnostic codes. When I checked for codes under the "P" mode, it said "No rSP". Now I have normal throttle response but I want to see "none" when I pull diagnostic codes, not "No rSP." By the way, the last couple of times I had it out, it had a slight stumble at low throttle input, especially when I first started moving from a stop. I think I have a bad throttle grip sensor or the connector is "fretting". What is this "No rSP"? Thanks

Old 05-14-2011, 10:39 PM
JRBass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the little searching I did the Norsp code comes if you try to read codes with the kill switch in off position on hadlebars. It needs to be in run position.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:46 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior

Thanks JRBass. The kill switch is in the "run" position. I, too, researched this problem and have found no answers. I found a bunch of people having the problem. Most of them turn the kill switch to "run" and the problem goes away. Those that have the kill switch in the "run" position and still have the "No rSP" aren't finding any answers. Cecil

Old 05-14-2011, 11:24 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

funny u said that my check engine light came on also but i have the thunder max ecm u can read the codes the tmax vertually tells u what the problem is. well it turned out my cruise control set switch was bad took to the dealer they replaced it problem solved. but i did ask what the norsp means cuz mine reads the same with the kill switch on or off. the tech told me that thats nomal there is nothing wrong when u read that he didnt explane what it meant but he did say they all say that. thats the beauty of the tmax it tells u where your problems are and u can clear the codes yourself. dont know if the power commander has that or the TTS or any other tuner does but mine does . just my 2 cents.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:46 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is this "No rSP"?
This is a copy / paste from my SM:

“no rsp” displayed.* Tachometer malfunction. See 2.4 SPEEDOMETER/ TACHOMETER.
* Models not equipped with a tachometer will display “no rsp.”

So unless you have a RK or your tach isn't working I'd guess it was just a glitch - clear it and see if it comes back.

As far as the fretting, I believe it occurs at the plug that plugs into the ECM, not at the TCA. Although the pins that fret go to the TCA. P2135 is one of the codes associated with it.

Here is the SB on it.

Last edited by Potato_Potato; 05-15-2011 at 02:16 AM.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:30 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior

I pulled the connector from the TB and cleaned both sides and used dielectric grease and put it back together. I pulled the PCV and connected the ECM in stock configuration. I cranked the bike and had throttle response without the CEL coming on. I went into diagnostics and found 6 or 7 codes. I think they are related to the PCV being installed and the oxygen sensors bypasssed. I cleared the codes and reinstalled the PCV and cranked it again. Engine performed normally-full throttle response and no CEL. Took the bike for about a hundred mile ride and no problems. At this point I'm calling it fixed but I'm not totally confident yet. Maybe in a few hundred more miles. Thanks for everybody's input. Cecil

Last edited by smithbrl; 05-15-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Taildraggerdave
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem today on an '09 Ultra with 22K on it.
Starting a group ride with 6 other bikes. Heading up into the hills and had cruise control set on. I noticed that the bike cut out a couple times and it was about 2500rpms at the time.

Then the throttle quit working altogether and the bike went to idle. I pulled over on the shoulder and the engine ran fine at idle but had no throttle except when twisted to full throttle, then the rpm's would go up to 2000 and stay there until throttle was released.

The group thought was to pull the main fuse and let it set for a minute and retry. I did that and upon restart, I had an engine light on for a bit then it went away. The bike ran well for the rest of the ride. Put 100 miles on it and no further problems.

I got home and grabbed the HD Electrical manual and reminded myself how to do a WOW test. I also got norsp on the odometer and came back to HDForums to investigate. I have no other codes on any of the modules. I, too, have a PCV on it.

Take care,
Dave

Old 05-23-2011, 02:31 AM
smithbrl
Road Warrior

Well, I'm not calling it fixed anymore. I'm still getting the check engine light and the codes. The bike is stumbling at slow speeds. I think I'm going to ride it over to the dealer next weekend and have them take a look at it. Maybe replace those pins on the TCA connector. Thanks again for the input. Cecil

Old 06-06-2011, 10:29 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior

Brought it to the dealer today. They said it's the twist grip sensor. Waiting on parts now. Will have to wait til next Monday to bring it back. Hopefully that will fix it. The diagnostic codes were P1510, P1511, P2135 and P2127.