Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sporty to Road Glide (short people)

Old 05-23-2011, 10:58 AM
jcontonio
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sporty to Road Glide (short people)

I'm a relatively new rider going on two years. I love it.

I bought the Iron 883 when it came out and have been having a ton of fun riding around New England. The more I ride though, the farther I want to go. I am planning on doing some cross-country riding and maybe a bit of Canada. I don't think I want to do it on a sportster =) I can't imagine what my back would feel like at the end of every day.

I am 5'2". I sat on the RG and SG yesterday and have become obsessed with the RG overnight. I'm thinking on selling the sporty. I've been researching shaved seats (as the Harley reach seats are awful looking and well, they hurt my *****) and lowering the front suspension. I can touch with my toes on the stock seat, and like the look of it - I'd just like to have a bit more leverage there.

Any tips for very short riders on a RG? Lowering the front would be bad for most people I think as they'd be bottoming out, but I barely weight 130 lbs. Think it would still be an issue?

I work from home. Can be wherever. It only makes sense to get a touring bike and get the hell out of here.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:15 AM
JohnnyBoy
Road Captain

For what it's worth, I went from a Softail FatBoy to a CVO Roadglide Ultra just recently. I'm 5'10" 200+ LBS and stocky build. My Softail weighs 660lbs and change and the CVO Roadglide is 940+ LBS. I find that it takes all my upper body strength to maneuver the Road Glide in parking situations but at speed it rocks and wants to fly by itself.

I was advised not to mess with the front end by lowering but I did do the rear lowering shocks which lowers the bike 3/4 of an inch. With my 30/32 inseam I can place ONE foot completely flat on the ground and the other about 1/2 a foot. Like I said, the bike will ride with ease but in parking/maneuvering situations it is a beast of a bike and will require upper body strength. I suggest you rent one and try it out.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:18 AM
jcontonio
Stage II

Oh that's great advice. I didn't think about renting one. My buddy at the dealer is going to setup a test ride soon so maybe after that. The parking/maneuvering is what I am a little scared about. I try to stay out of situations where I'd have to back the bike up but sometimes it's impossible. On the top heavy sportster I sometimes even have trouble. I figure I'll just have to be even more strategic on a bigger bike when parking.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

FWIW... I have a 29" inseam, so while I'm not quite as short, I do understand.. I had a 08 FLHR that I bought mostly on whim, one of the things I disliked was the tip toe thing. I swapped off one day with a bud who had a FLHRS. That thing fit me perfect. Mind made up, I was trading mine on a Street Glide, it was the same height as the customs were. When I showed up at the dealer I found out when they changed the frame in 09 they made the Street Glide same height as the FLHR.. Went shooping for a pre 09 Street or RK Custom. If I were in your place, I don't know if a Deluxe wouldn't be the right bike.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:52 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,177 Likes on 2,448 Posts

Originally Posted by jcontonio
Oh that's great advice. I didn't think about renting one. My buddy at the dealer is going to setup a test ride soon so maybe after that. The parking/maneuvering is what I am a little scared about. I try to stay out of situations where I'd have to back the bike up but sometimes it's impossible. On the top heavy sportster I sometimes even have trouble. I figure I'll just have to be even more strategic on a bigger bike when parking.

yep, gotta do some thinking when you're getting ready to park. otherwise, no issues. i'm 5'4'', and i got a set of the bitchin bagger 11.25'' shocks, a danny grey speed cradle seat, and left the front end alone. yes, the short shocks definitely let you know when you hit a bump, but the ride is not that bad.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:41 PM
knife_edge
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

This is my 2009 RG which was lowered 1" both on the front and rear (Progressive Drop-in kit and 940 series) with the Mustang Solo seat (76027) and Passenger seat (75461). I am 5'6" with an inseam of 29" and my feet are flat on the ground when I am stopped.

Attached Thumbnails Sporty to Road Glide (short people)-dscn2333.jpg   Sporty to Road Glide (short people)-dscn2331.jpg  
Old 05-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 30" inseam, and I'm using a 2010 CVO Street Glide seat on my 2010 FLTRX, stock 2010 shocks and I'm "almost" flat footed...