Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance & Hines Power duals - can't tune on FLHX

Old 05-25-2011, 02:06 AM
Micky J
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vance & Hines Power duals - can't tune on FLHX

Got a set of power duals and high out put slip ons trough my local harley dealer, bought as a new package with bike.
Only problem is they can not tune the bike with these power dual headers on.

Have swapped different slip ons and still can't tune in. Seems there is not enough bottom end back pressure, ok at 2500 rpm and above. So they have put the original headers back on with my high output slip ons and presto it runs beautiful.

Has anybody here had trouble with the power dual header pipes?

All Vance & Hines tell me is they have no trouble tuning this setup with their fuel pack. Surely the problem isn't in the tuner?

2011 Street Glide 103 211 cams SE pro tuner

Mick

Old 05-25-2011, 02:54 AM
Watch Guy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I find that very hard to believe

The power duals are no different than straight 2-1-2 header pipes. If that were true then no true dual pipes or straight shots could be tuned and tuners around here have had no trouble with them. Try another mechanic.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:36 AM
HD101st
Tourer

I cry BS on that. Thoses vance and hines pipes can be tuned like anything else, it all comes down to who is doing the tuning. I see you are using the pro tuner. I cant comment on that system but i had 2-1-2 pipes and true duals and my pcV with auto tune did just fine. I would find another dyno tuner in your area.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:58 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem is the operator, not the equipment.

The power duals are great, IMHO.

Hope they didnt charge for the tune or pulling the power duals back off!!

Old 05-25-2011, 06:26 AM
Micky J
6th Gear

No I won't be paying for their stuffing around.

Even though they are loca HD dealer I don't have faith in the experience of their dyno tech, will be taking to another tech

Old 05-25-2011, 06:45 AM
EricFLTRU
Novice
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Micky J
No I won't be paying for their stuffing around.

Even though they are loca HD dealer I don't have faith in the experience of their dyno tech, will be taking to another tech
Give them back the race tuner, put the V&H true duals on the bike (not slip-ons) get a refund on the all the labor and then go buy yourself a PowerVision from Jamie at FuelMotoUSA. He will give you one of his custom tunes for your exact setup which you can flash into your ECM in about 45 seconds and you'll be up and running in no time. NO Dyno required and all this for about half of what you've been messing around with! And the best part is that you get updated tunes and full diagnostic support from FuelMotoUSA without being nickeled and dimed to death like our friends at the dealership do. Don't waste your money on that other stuff. By the way, I am in no way affiliated with FuelMotoUSA other than being an extremely happy customer. I have an '11 FLTRU with Reinhart 4 inch True Duals, stage one kit and the PowerVision. Check it out. You won't be sorry!!

Old 05-25-2011, 06:59 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The OP is 100% percent about the Power Duals. Pay close attention to the 02 sensor locations and you will notice that one of them is in the totally wrong spot. You will never get a bike to hold a tune with those headpipes. V&H doesnt care. As far as the High Output exhaust, he is also correct. Even V&H states on their own website that those mufflers are for high volume, large displacement of 110 or higher. You will never develop max low end torque because they produce very little back pressure. Personal experiance, the best thing I ever did was remove that V&H stuff and go with Fuel Moto headpipe and rush exhaust.

As far as EricFLTRU comments are concerned, how can anyone really expect to have Jamie and FuelMoto send a "custom" tune for the bike when it wasnt dynoed. Sure, he can have a canned map that will be pretty good, but calling it a custom tune is stretching it.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:04 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2WheelGlider
The OP is 100% percent about the Power Duals. Pay close attention to the 02 sensor locations and you will notice that one of them is in the totally wrong spot.
I havent seen PDs for the 10 and later. The 09 has the 02 sensors where they were on the 08 and earlier - 4" from the exhaust valves. The 10s had them moved to near the collector. Has anyone got any pics of the 10 up PDs?

Old 05-25-2011, 07:07 AM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 146 Posts

No issues here...

Old 05-25-2011, 07:11 AM
EricFLTRU
Novice
Talking

Originally Posted by 2WheelGlider
As far as EricFLTRU comments are concerned, how can anyone really expect to have Jamie and FuelMoto send a "custom" tune for the bike when it wasnt dynoed. Sure, he can have a canned map that will be pretty good, but calling it a custom tune is stretching it.
Ahhh...grasshopper....but you make the assumption that the tune is a canned tune when in actuality it would be a tune from a bike that Jamie actually dyno'ed in his shop with the exact same configuration as the one the OP was talking about. Year, make, model, breather/air cleaner, pipes, etc. Then Jamie saves the map from the actual dyno and then gives it to his customers as part of the deal. So you see sir, it's actually a pretty good approach. Now, granted, if you have some super duper custom engine work or some high performance custom engine mods that is something else - but we're talking about essentially a stock ride with stock bolt on mods where one dyno map should work on two identical bikes assuming the components are the same. Check it out for yourself - you might change your "tune" - LOL. Just sayin'.... ...and by the way, when I say "custom" tune I am referring to Jamie's personal stash of dyno maps - not the "canned" tunes that come from DynoJet already installed on the device.

Last edited by EricFLTRU; 05-25-2011 at 07:16 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vance & Hines Power duals - can't tune on FLHX