Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intercom Use

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 11:05 AM
garyloos
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercom Use

I purchased a 2011 Ultra classic and have a question about intercom use which the dealership could not answer. Is it possible to use the intercom without having to listen to the radio in my ear?

Old 06-17-2011, 11:13 AM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member

The radio plays through the speakers in the fairing or the rear speakers. Only the CB/intercom works through the headset. Can only use the CB or intercom one at a time, can't do both. At least that's how my 2010 Tri Glide works...

Old 06-17-2011, 11:14 AM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. The Speaker switch is a three position switch, move it to the center. This will put radio volume in the speakers and the intercom in the headset.

Position Up: All sound goes via headset
Position center: Radio to speakers, Intercom/CB to Headset
Position down: All sounds go to Speakers

There is seperate volume control for Audio and Intercom/CB

Last edited by itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$; 06-17-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:19 AM
garyloos
Intermediate

Thank you I will try putting the speaker switch in the center position and see it that does what I want.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:07 PM
redultra02
Cruiser

Originally Posted by garyloos
Thank you I will try putting the speaker switch in the center position and see it that does what I want.
And you stated that your dealership did not know this answer on the radio WOW!

Old 06-17-2011, 01:22 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garyloos
ONce you've done this the key to success is figuring out how to adust the speaker volume and com volume seperately.

push com button then adjust intercom volume, push the button on the right hand controls that changes between FM/AM/WB one time to go back to audio volume to adjust it. There might be an easier way, but I've not figured it out.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

itsa has the right idea. Once you turn on the intercom system by pressing INT on the radio and the soft button immediately to the upper left of the display, press INT again and you will be back in the radio mode (or CD or AUX depending on your listening choice). After exiting INT mode, you can adjust the volume of the radio with the handlebar switch. When riding with my wife, she prefers to listen to the iPod or radio on the headset, but I adjust my volume to mute (zero) so that I can still communicate via the intercom, but don't have the distraction of the music.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:12 PM
Krow
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CWDoc115
...Can only use the CB or intercom one at a time, can't do both.....
I've never used the CB as nobody I ride with has one on their bike. But I thought the intercom was voice activated (VOX) and CB was push to talk (PTT) - that you could be talking away on the intercom and if someone called on the CB it would break in, overriding the intercom. Then you can answer the CB with the PTT button. Am I all mixed up about this?

Old 06-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorta.... Although the intercom is VOX activated, you can also use the PTT switch to speak if the VOX is set high during noisy conditions. I don't use the CB much, and I don't know how the PTT switch functions if both the intercom and CB are turned on.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:45 PM
Newhog
Road Captain

Yes the CB will break in while you're talking on the intercom.
As Pastor John said; turn down the volume in the radio mode to mute, you will still be able to hear the intercom or cb, etc. Every mode has it's own volume setting, including as to if you have it on the speakers or the headset (they are independent of each other) and also cb, stereo, intercom, etc.

Quick Reply: Intercom Use