General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 12:20 PM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil Leaks

I have a 2005 (new to me) Road King. I just changed all of the fluids, (engine, tranny and primary) and put in synthetic (Amsoil). When I changed the fluids I made sure to put new o-rings on each plug and even bought a new plug for the primary drain. Now I have leaks, it appears to be several. I am having trouble determine where it is leaking from and what to do to stop them. At first I thgught it was the primary plug. I seem to be getting a drop coming from that area, so I tightened it up a little more and it still leaked. I then went and bought a new plug since the old one was almost striped in the hex head from prior tightening. I put that plug in and I am still gettng oil coming from that area. Do i need to put anything on the threads of the plugs when I re-install them. I have not done that on my other motorcycles and never had a leak? Could it be that it is leaking from somewhere else and just running down to the lowest spot which just happens to be the primary drain plug? I really don't want to take this in to a mechanic when the purpose of doing it myself was to save money. Any help, advice or insight is greatly appreciated. I know it is hard to determine where a leak is coming from based on my description and if I had a motorcycle table I might be able to get up under it better to find it. My jack just seems to get in the way of finding the leak.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 06-20-2011, 12:29 PM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am new to HD as well. I bought the "Fix my Hog" DVD and I am trying to remember what they said on it.

But on some of the "Bolt Threads", they put on Teflon Paste. I just don't remember if the paste was being used on the fluid drain bolts or not. I will have to go back an look at the DVD.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:59 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Us Teflon pipe dope on the primary plug and do not over tighten. I believe I read it is a tapered hole for the plug and you mentioning that the old one was almost stripped on the hex makes me wonder if someone used bad tools or gorilla fisted it. If you don't have a feel for plugs and torque use a torque wrench properly set on the transmission plug and oil drain plug. For the repair manual torque specs. If you over tight the transmission plug or oil plug ---you can kink or cut the orings. If you screw up the drain plug threads on the primary----you only have two real options. Replace the cover or do some cheap engineering.

Last edited by oldairboater; 06-20-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:48 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 1,018 Posts

I use teflon tape or paste on all mine with or wiithout o-rings.. they never leaked. If your primary is the pipe plug type with no o-ring then you need to use teflon on it and like others said do not over tighten it.. make sure you lube the o-rings so the side and don't tear..

Old 06-20-2011, 04:46 PM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, maybe I have over tightend it. I will get my torque wrench out and do it properly as well as using some teflon paste or tape. The threads are still good on the primary, I may have just tightend it too tight and pinched the o-ring. I'm a computer programmer by trade and I should probably just stick to that, but I like to get my hands dirty from time to time.

Last edited by VTwinJaxFL; 06-20-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:11 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,829 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Be careful with a torque wrench on drain plugs, I use instinct to tighten those plugs.
I have used teflon paste on the threads in the past, can't hurt. If you get a can of brake cleaner to clean up the suspected leaking areas and use a mirror maybe you'll find the source.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:42 PM
scooter1128
Road Captain

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

another suggestion, after you clean the area with brake clean and its dry...take some baby powder and get it on the suspected area...might locate leak that way. hope something not to serious. good luck

Old 06-21-2011, 12:47 AM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Synthetic oil will find a leak long before dino oil will. The teflon should fix your drain plug issues but if it still leaks at gasket joints, you might have to go back to dino.
Hatch.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:25 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why put up with a leak and use an inferior oil instead of replacing gaskets? Everything I read about synthetic finding places to leak or weep. Happened because of surface fit or bad gaskets .
Originally Posted by hatchetman
Synthetic oil will find a leak long before dino oil will. The teflon should fix your drain plug issues but if it still leaks at gasket joints, you might have to go back to dino.
Hatch.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:15 AM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Why put up with a leak and use an inferior oil instead of replacing gaskets? Everything I read about synthetic finding places to leak or weep. Happened because of surface fit or bad gaskets .
Just thinkin'...........It's the first day of summer, A guy could pull his engine all apart or he could ride until winter!
Dino oil still gives great protection without robbing you of all your gas money.
Hatch.

Quick Reply: Oil Leaks