Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would You Store Your Bike Outside?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 11:11 AM
DocJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would You Store Your Bike Outside?

I know...I kinda keep rambling about it. But, after the twister came through Joplin, I lost my home and am currently renting an apartment. The Harley store back in Joplin is keeping my bikes for me, but I miss them terribly. I need a fix. It's been too long since I've been on two wheels!

However, I am incredibly nervous about keeping them outside. Especially with the apartment complex. I mean...they are nice apartments, but there are a lot of kids, and I simply don't know that I can trust people around here. There is only one other rider that lives in the "community" here. He rides a Yamaha with the baffles removed and has a lot of "keep off my junk" style stickers on it. So....I don't know if that means he's had issues. Somehow, I can't seem to catch him to talk with him about it.

Anyway, my bikes have always been garaged, and the thought of leaving them outside just kills me. But, I'm living in Springfield for the time being, and the bikes are being stored back in Joplin (an hour and fifteen minutes away) so going out for a joy-ride isn't as easy as flipping the garage door opener.

Anyway, what would you do? And, if I bring them up here, what gear should I get to keep them protected?

Old 06-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Non11
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would never store mine outside. I just dont trust people enough and I wouldnt want the elements pounding on it. If I wanted them closer and was in your situation I'd go rent the smallest storage unit I could find down the street and put them there or get a ground floor apartment and park it inside.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:25 AM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear of your house being distroyed But I would keep my lock up somewhere so it doesn't get jacked up or stolen can you rent a garage closer to your apt. so you can go ride her more easily

Old 06-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Cpitch
Road Master

Some of us dont have a choice. That being said, I store my bike on my patio. Its enclosed in "rot-iron" (dont know how to spell it lol) so its semi exposed to the elements. When it rains it'll get wet and dirty...other than that I keep it under my carport. I've never had a problem but I live on the other side of the country from you.

Glad to hear you made it out ok. We, as I'm sure the rest of the country, followed the Joplin disaster on the news. God bless.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You sound like you really like your bikes. So I would say no way to storing them outside. People are going to screw with them one way or another.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:32 AM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is there any available secured storage facility around your new temp location?

Old 06-24-2011, 11:39 AM
prestob
Cruiser
Received 106 Likes on 44 Posts

I live in a residential neighborhood in an apartment complex with mostly college students. I've stored mine outside all season (covered nightly, of course) and have not had one issue. Then again, I ride everyday and am seen doing it, so maybe people recognize that I would realize if someone messed with my stuff. Due to a previous incident with my last bike I've also shown that I will not hesitate to deal with it at that same complex.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:51 AM
DocJ
Road Master

I am currently renting a storage unit. I have all my bicycles in it. lol! My main fear of putting the bikes in there is that you're technically not supposed to put flammable objects in them. By flammable, I mean anything that could ignite a spark. And, the bikes being full of gas and whatnot...well...

The apartment IS on the groundfloor. But, again, there isn't even room inside for a motorcycle to sit. Potentially, I may be able to get one out to the patio, but the apartment is on a slop, making it a "groundfloor/second story" apartment. And, I'm not sure I trust the patio to hold the weight. I mean, apartments are not well known to be solid structures.

I keep saying, I don't know how the bikes survived. Of course, they were covered with insulation and debris, but they were still standing with all their fenders attached. No damage has been found on either of them.

I think...maybe I'll ask my next question. If it is really a bad idea to bring them to Springfield, should I just sell them? The bikes are at a Harley dealer, so I can put them on sale for consignment, and then buy new ones when I finally get settled. I don't know, but it makes me crazy not having them here, but it also bothers me to no end the thought of leaving them exposed. Not sure what to do.....

Thank you for all the kind words. This experience has been really rough. It's good to have people support you.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:59 AM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I do and she is fine. I cover her. But honestly if faced with having my bike away from me thereby not getting to ride it any moment I want to well I would never do that. It is a motorcycle it doesn't melt in the rain. I have had my 883c outside for all of the time I have owned it and put20k miles on it since nov 2009. She is in great shape.
And now we have a RK in the driveway too.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:03 PM
ImNoPrince
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stored my Bike for years here in the City outside with just a Cover. The Enjoyment you will get from riding will outway any minor things you might have to fix up . I would think if anyone needed the Escape a Bike offers it would be someone that survived that mess.

I wouldn't sell and you say Bikes so maybe just bring 1 up for the time being until you can get more settled . I rent a Garage instead of a storage here now because of the No Spark factor , I'm lucky enough that's it's only a 3 city block distance from one to the other.

Quick Reply: Would You Store Your Bike Outside?