Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Iron 883 Problem getting to go into first (Only sometimes)

Old 06-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Irontater
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Iron 883 Problem getting to go into first (Only sometimes)

Hello , I just bought a 2011 Iron 883 , it is stock with no mods. I have about 150 miles on it total. I have no issues shifting or with the clutch other than twice now while stopped when trying to go into first I keep getting to the point where from second it will not shift down to first gear. This happened to me twice yesterday and today when I am about ready to call to take it in to the dealer it is fine. Also another thing that is a constant while in first I have a hell of a time getting it in neutral. It wants to go into second , then shifts down to first takes me like Five times shifting back and fourth barely going up or down to finally get in neutral. If anyone could shed some light I would be very greatful.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The neutral problem is common, Mine was the same way and it will get easier with more miles. Also it seems to be easier to get from second to neutral on the roll comming to a stop. As you come to a stop sign just pull the clutch quick tap into nuetral.....

I dont understand the first gear problem as you explain,, are you comming to a complete stop in second, then pop it down to first while stopped and it wont go into first? Or are you trying to downshift into first while rolling to a stop?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:02 AM
Irontater
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Challenger
The neutral problem is common, Mine was the same way and it will get easier with more miles. Also it seems to be easier to get from second to neutral on the roll comming to a stop. As you come to a stop sign just pull the clutch quick tap into nuetral.....

I dont understand the first gear problem as you explain,, are you comming to a complete stop in second, then pop it down to first while stopped and it wont go into first? Or are you trying to downshift into first while rolling to a stop?
I am at a stop with the clutch held in and it just doesnt downshift at all. I can tapdance all over it and all it does is bounce there. I shifted up and it would go higher, just not lower than second or neutral. It only happened twice and there was no apparent rhyme or reason to it. I am hoping its because I am a newb and doing something stupid and not that my bikes screwed up.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:10 AM
yet_erp
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Challenger was on the right track with his questions. The sporty transmission is a synchronus transmission that likes to be shifted from first to second to third etc. Same on the downshifts third to second to first. Try getting into the habit of always downshifting into first as you come to a rolling stop. Neutral will get easier when you get some miles on it but when stopping always go to first then back to neutral if you want.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Irontater
Intermediate

Originally Posted by yet_erp
I think Challenger was on the right track with his questions. The sporty transmission is a synchronus transmission that likes to be shifted from first to second to third etc. Same on the downshifts third to second to first. Try getting into the habit of always downshifting into first as you come to a rolling stop. Neutral will get easier when you get some miles on it but when stopping always go to first then back to neutral if you want.
I stay in gear with the appropriate speed and downshift as I decline. What I am talking about is as I am stopping or actually stopped when shifting from second to first it is like it is completely vacant. The shifter will just bounce as if it is not catching anything. It only does this from downshifting from second to first , not from 4th to 3rd or 3rd to second. And it fixes itself just as mysteriously and then now I cannot replicate this action.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

That is odd. I was going to say are you sure youre not already in first,,,but the shift lever bounce is odd.....When you say it fixes itself, how so? Do you just keep "bouncing" the shift lever down and then it "clunks" into first after a few trys?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:58 AM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master

If you are trying to shift at a complete stop, then that is most likely your issue.
Once you completely stop the gears in the transmission stop spinning. This may lead to the gears to not completely line up in a way that you are able to shift; though, the higher gear may have lined up to be able to shift up.

Next time you aren't able to down shift to first, try pulling in the clutch and rocking the bike a bit to try to line up the gears.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:09 AM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The neutral issue will go away after you log quite a few miles and change out the tranny fluid. I remember the first few thousand miles, finding neutral was a pain. But now, after 10K, it is simple.

As far as your shifting issue. I always shift into first before coming to a complete stop and have never had any problems. Like said above, try rocking the bike if your at a stop if you need to shift into gear. If it is still under warranty, and if you are still concerned, just take it in.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Irontater
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Challenger
That is odd. I was going to say are you sure youre not already in first,,,but the shift lever bounce is odd.....When you say it fixes itself, how so? Do you just keep "bouncing" the shift lever down and then it "clunks" into first after a few trys?
Well what happens is I will shift up to and back down a few times and eventually it will drop into first . It took like 5 times of me doing this though. I have talked to quite a few people about it and everyone says " that aint right!"

Old 06-28-2011, 10:15 AM
pendragyn
Novice

I've experienced this issue with my '11 Iron also. Like wahlumsurfer suggested when it happened I would just roll up an inch or two and it would allow me to shift down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Iron 883 Problem getting to go into first (Only sometimes)