Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parade Fan???

Old 06-28-2011, 11:13 AM
myred55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parade Fan???

Got stuck in traffic at the entrance to Yosemite Park Sunday. Thought the bike was going to catch on fire!
Thinking about getting a "parade fan" to cool her down when stuck in traffic.
Questions:
Does a fan help to cool down the bike when stuck in traffic?
Which fan would you all recommend? Harley or Lenale or other brand?
Thanks!

Old 06-28-2011, 11:40 AM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get the Harley fan. do not use the heat sensor in the kit. wire the relay to the ACC switch instead so you can trun it on and off manually. also, wire the fan backwards. normal wiring brings the air from left to right which results in hot air from your engine being blown into you intake. wired back wards results in air moving right to left and keeps cool air going into your intake. If you have a stage one, take the egg cover off. with the cover on, your getting a lot of engine heated air. Oil cooler is a big help. There's a fan kit for the oil cooler with blows air thru the heat exchnager reguardless of bike speed. the optional harley heat shields seem to help your rider, moreso than helping you. Also, if your bike gets really hot, to the extent it's making chatter noises, replace your engine oil, becuase it's probally now shot.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:20 PM
RockerMike
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

It helps cool it down, but more important is it prevents it from getting so hot. I have the Harley fan and I used the heat sensor, but did not attach it to the air intake - rather it just sits down between the V. End result is the fan comes on earlier and helps keep the temp down.

I have no problem with airflow from left to right.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:08 PM
mtnbkr53
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the Lenale on my 2011 Road Glide Ultra 103. It has a manual switch on fan housing (rocker switch) so it is easy to reach to turn on and off as needed. This little jewel really looks good on the bike and delivers a serious amount of air between the jugs! Being stuck in bumper to bumper at Pegion Forge/Gatlinburg for over an hour my oil temp gauge never topped 250* even though the ambient temp was 89*. It does however put a serious amount of scorching air off the right side-- so you have to keep that leg out of the air flow!

Old 06-28-2011, 02:50 PM
myred55
Road Master

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
get the Harley fan. do not use the heat sensor in the kit. wire the relay to the ACC switch instead so you can trun it on and off manually. also, wire the fan backwards. normal wiring brings the air from left to right which results in hot air from your engine being blown into you intake. wired back wards results in air moving right to left and keeps cool air going into your intake. If you have a stage one, take the egg cover off. with the cover on, your getting a lot of engine heated air. Oil cooler is a big help. There's a fan kit for the oil cooler with blows air thru the heat exchnager reguardless of bike speed. the optional harley heat shields seem to help your rider, moreso than helping you. Also, if your bike gets really hot, to the extent it's making chatter noises, replace your engine oil, becuase it's probally now shot.
Speakerfritz, thanks for your input but what is a egg cover?

Old 06-28-2011, 04:36 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior

Speakerfritz, thanks for your input but what is a egg cover?
the chrome harley air intake cover. when you go stage one, the back plate of the cover is not used, the back is open, and acts like a parachute to catch hot air off your engine. this causes a convention effect...as new hot air is sucked in, temp rises exponetially as eng continues to heat up and also furthur heats up ambient air, cycle runs away until you engine over heats or your nuts fry.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:22 PM
myred55
Road Master

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
the chrome harley air intake cover. when you go stage one, the back plate of the cover is not used, the back is open, and acts like a parachute to catch hot air off your engine. this causes a convention effect...as new hot air is sucked in, temp rises exponetially as eng continues to heat up and also furthur heats up ambient air, cycle runs away until you engine over heats or your nuts fry.
Is there a different air cleaner cover available that will not catch the hot air or should I just take the egg off and run it with the air cleaner exposed?
Thanks

Old 06-28-2011, 06:35 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior

Is there a different air cleaner cover available that will not catch the hot air or should I just take the egg off and run it with the air cleaner exposed?
Thanks
a lot of folks run it exposed...some get nice looking chrome disc plate and use a rain sock when it rains. I keep mine exposed and have ridden in torrential down pours with no ill effects.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:08 PM
autotechmark
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Day late and a dollar short.

I know this is wicked late but I tried two Lenalle fans. Both worked awesome for the first fifteen minutes of operation and never worked again after that. I contacted Lenalle who charged me half my original cost to replace the motor but the same thing happened. I think I will be doing the Harley fan. Just my two cents.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:42 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by myred55
Got stuck in traffic at the entrance to Yosemite Park Sunday. Thought the bike was going to catch on fire!
Thinking about getting a "parade fan" to cool her down when stuck in traffic.
Questions:
Does a fan help to cool down the bike when stuck in traffic?
Which fan would you all recommend? Harley or Lenale or other brand?
Thanks!
They definately work, check out the results in my thread https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...tem-again.html
post #1 and # 54, 2black1s posted test data on the Lenale fan also at https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...test-data.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parade Fan???