Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunder Baffles on Stock Pipes?

Old 06-29-2011, 02:59 AM
BravoFireRescue
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder Baffles on Stock Pipes?

Financial situations have stalled my plans of getting new pipes, so I decided that Ill go with some Monster Baffles for the meanwhile, but I measure the diameter of my pipes and it measure a little over 3". Does BCT make non-qq baffles for stock FXDB pipes? Also, are there any other nice sounding/performing baffles out there for FXDP stock pipes?

Old 06-29-2011, 05:07 AM
retxpres
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Same question for a 2011 Wide Glide. I have already poped the three rivits holding the stock baffle in place. I am looking to replace the stock baffle with an after market one. I am looking for a perfect fit into the stock can. Rush baffles are to small in diameter. Has anyone done this?

Old 06-29-2011, 06:40 AM
grog_lives
Cruiser

I came accross a guy at a rally who had a Fatbob which has the same exaust as the wide glide and he had the stock pipes with baffles from Big City Thunder. I'm assuming they were the Monster baffles. Whichever one they were they sounded good.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:42 AM
grog_lives
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grog_lives
I came accross a guy at a rally who had a Fatbob which has the same exaust as the wide glide and he had the stock pipes with baffles from Big City Thunder. I'm assuming they were the Monster baffles. Whichever one they were they sounded good.
Oh, I did call Big City and for the Fatbob and Wide Glide, the baffles would insert into the header as opposed to the pipes. I believe you have to drill some holes in the header and they bolt in.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:42 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by grog_lives
Oh, I did call Big City and for the Fatbob and Wide Glide, the baffles would insert into the header as opposed to the pipes. I believe you have to drill some holes in the header and they bolt in.
My question would be how much would the sound change by adding the baffles to the head pipes? The stock mufflers are quiet, so I don't see them getting louder. Maybe deeper, with even more back pressure. Also, once you drill out the head pipes you have to keep the baffles there since it's not easy to fill the holes unless there's room for a short bolt.
I had the BCT QQ baffles in some slipons and liked them a lot, but I'm not sure about using them with the stockers.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:24 PM
08StreetBobRob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nevil
My question would be how much would the sound change by adding the baffles to the head pipes? The stock mufflers are quiet, so I don't see them getting louder. Maybe deeper, with even more back pressure. Also, once you drill out the head pipes you have to keep the baffles there since it's not easy to fill the holes unless there's room for a short bolt.
I had the BCT QQ baffles in some slipons and liked them a lot, but I'm not sure about using them with the stockers.
I'm pretty sure you take the stock baffles out and just insert the new baffle in the head pipe

Old 06-29-2011, 04:44 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by 08StreetBobRob
I'm pretty sure you take the stock baffles out and just insert the new baffle in the head pipe
I see what you're saying. But then you've ruined the stock mufflers and head pipes. Why not just get a set of decent slipons. If you never will need the stockers that's fine, but you can sell them or keep them around just in case. Not to mention that the stock units weigh a LOT.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:42 PM
08StreetBobRob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nevil
I see what you're saying. But then you've ruined the stock mufflers and head pipes. Why not just get a set of decent slipons. If you never will need the stockers that's fine, but you can sell them or keep them around just in case. Not to mention that the stock units weigh a LOT.
I dont think you would ruin them. If you ever wanted them back stock you could just have someone weld them back in and fill the hole back on the head pipe. It's probably only a 1/4" hole anyway. I have a set of stock mufflers that I took off as soon as I got the bike home from the dealer I'll let go of cheap if you need an extra set. Been in the boxes since that day.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:35 PM
retxpres
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I just ordered a set of QQ 1625 baffles from BCT. I gutted my stock mufflers on my 2011 Wide glide. These baffles go into the the end of the head pipe and the front of the mufflers. My mufflers are going to be empty cans. After the install I will post my opinion......

Old 06-29-2011, 09:37 PM
grog_lives
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 08StreetBobRob
I dont think you would ruin them. If you ever wanted them back stock you could just have someone weld them back in and fill the hole back on the head pipe. It's probably only a 1/4" hole anyway. I have a set of stock mufflers that I took off as soon as I got the bike home from the dealer I'll let go of cheap if you need an extra set. Been in the boxes since that day.
On the Fatbob and wide glide, I don't think there's any going back as they are filled with fiberglass. The thunder baffles did sound good, but I do agree your getting to the realm of a slip on. When I called big city, the ones they recommended were $129+shipping.