Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is break in period essential before exhaust upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,081 Likes on 1,514 Posts
Talking Is break in period essential before exhaust upgrade?

Just pulled the trigger on a 2011 Road King Classic w/PowerPak setup, 1690 cc, 103 engine, (two-tone Candy Root Beer)

Is it necessary to do the initial break-in (500 or 1000 miles?) before upgrading the exhaust? will be going from the jugs back eliminating the cat and stock header pipes, just not sure of which system to go with yet for that classic deep throaty sound at idle & cruise, all and any suggestions appreciated,
btw...this is my first brand spankin' new bike. ... Thanks, Buck

Old 07-03-2011, 10:46 AM
seph10
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

cool ride buckinfitch,,,the answer to your question is no,,,HD dealers put exaust systems on new bikes all the time,,,I personally never had a problem either,,,

Old 07-03-2011, 10:47 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Break in period, no. Proper tune, yes

Old 07-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,081 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
Break in period, no. Proper tune, yes
great, no break in period on new exhaust, V & H or Rineharts? , with fuelpak for tune,

best air intake using OEM cover.. (K&N??)... decisions decisions

Old 07-03-2011, 11:42 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckinfitch
great, no break in period on new exhaust, V & H or Rineharts? , with fuelpak for tune,

best air intake using OEM cover.. (K&N??)... decisions decisions
V & H or Rineharts? Thats the age old question that will get you loads of different opinions. I went with V&H duals and Rinehart muffs
best air intake using OEM cover.. (K&N??). Yes. I think SE is pretty good too

Old 07-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Twrguy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking For what it's worth...

Here's what I did.
Since I was planning on doing any upgrades myself I waited until the 1k checkup was complete before starting mods. I didn't want to hear any BS about how what I did caused whatever they found wrong! (took 12 days for me to get to1k)
I am going with Fuel Moto jackpot 2-1-2 header, Stage 1 A/C, Rinehart 4" slipons, Power vision Tuner. ( I purchased everything from FM, good price and the service can not be beat!!)
My header will not be here until Tuesday so I installed all but header on Friday. I like it so far. I posted a before/after video (in videos section) of stock Vs Rineharts so you can see and hear the difference. I hope to install the header on Tuesday and I will do the same type of video for that as well. This stage one upgrade is VERY easy to do yourself (and the money you save on installation will allow you to buy even more stuff for your bike)!!
Hope this helps

Last edited by Twrguy; 07-03-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:22 PM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The guys that designed and built your bike have designed a matching system that takes all of the guesswork out of it. It's called Screaming Eagle Stage 1, and works absolutly perfect. The downside is that the download is nonadjustable, so you would need the screaming Eagle Race Tuner should you plan on future engine mods.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:51 PM
HaydenHeywoodHayes
Club Member
Received 102 Likes on 34 Posts

Picked my new 2011 Road King Classic (Root beer) up yesterday after an HD Stage 1...SERT, SE A/C, and SE Thunder Street mufflers. The mufflers aren't as loud as, say, Rhineharts or Rush, but have a nice "rumble" nonetheless and I can still hear myself think while riding. Also had them do the 1,000 mile service while they had it. Had 819 miles on it when I gave it to the shop Thursday...runs and sounds like I had hoped it would. I know there is a lot of the aftermarket stuff available, but I'm not mechanically adept to any degree at all and have my dealership do all the work and that's why I also stick to HD stuff. I envy you guys that can do this stuff yourself...

Last edited by HaydenHeywoodHayes; 07-03-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:17 PM
xcelr8
Road Master

Originally Posted by HaydenHeywoodHayes
The mufflers aren't as loud as, say, Rhineharts or Rush, but have a nice "rumble" nonetheless and I can still hear myself think while riding. .
They will develop a nice deep, mellow, (and louder) sound after a few thousand miles. I was disappointed when I put mine on, because they were just a little louder than stock, but after the break in they are the best sounding pipes that I have ever heard,

Old 07-03-2011, 03:13 PM
JRBass
Road Captain

Love my V&H power dual setup with V&H twin slash rounds. Loud and throaty but not to loud. I was running the FuelPak with no issues whatsoever but am planning cams so switched to a PCV but in hind site wish I would have done the Power Vision but it was so new when I upgraded I was a little hesitant. No Regrets though the PCV is very easy to use and very flexible along with Fuel Moto's prices and customer service and maps all is great. Give Jamie a call he will not sell you anything you don't want or need and go all out to please you the consumer.

Quick Reply: Is break in period essential before exhaust upgrade?