Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! I'm too short!

Old 07-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Iron_Yeti
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! I'm too short!

So I made the "mistake" of test riding a 2011 Street Glide with the 103 engine. The local dealer is trying to get ride of these 2011s to make room for their 2012s and they are giving me a great deal. I am coming from a Fat Boy Lo that fits my short frame like a glove - 5'6", 29-30 inch inseam, 145 lbs. So for all you fellow short riders, what options have you tried (inexpensive and expensive) to help lower the bike to suit you? I tried the dealer's reach seat and it was okay. I guess lowering the shocks would be an option - what are the pros and cons of this as well as the costs?

Unfortunately I would have to trade in my Lo so I definitely need to make a good decision. . .

Thanks.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Egras2k
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't think the Street Glide can be lowered. I think my limited is lowered to about Street Glide height. I have the Reach seat and touch fine. I am 5'5" tall with a 30" inseam. Try the Reach seats. There are two.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:13 PM
CoryinDC
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 5'6" and bought a Road Glide. This is a very simple fix.

Buy a pair of HD boots or other boots with a thick sole. I went from tippy toes wearing tennies to the ***** of my feet with the boots and I havn't had any troubles at all.

Next.....get the adjustable back rest. This will/can push you forward enough for the bars.

Try the boots!!! Cheapest solution. Look a the Road Glide Custom too.

You will not regret buying either with a 103. Get your headers pipes, exhaust, stage 1 and race tune wrapped up in the purchase. This is something I wish I would have done.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:15 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

They now have a super reduced reach seat that may be better for you than the reach seat..
I wouldn't lower a SG any more than it already is.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 93 Likes on 24 Posts

One of the dangers/ disadvantages of lowering is that the further you lower it the more you reduce how far you can lean it before you start scraping things and possibly levering the rear wheel off the ground. As you can imagine this NEVER ends well. Like others have said, try the reach seats and there is some adjustability in the boards and the bars. For reaching the ground, the boots are a good call. I ride with a woman who is 4'-10" and rides a Deluxe. She took her boots to a shoe shop and had them add 1" to the whole sole and heel.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:11 PM
caletcb
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its got shocks on it it can be lowered. Drag has a shock thats almost 1" shorter than the street glide shock. I just put them on mine.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:19 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can also go with a lower front suspension, I have progressive monotube 2" under, also handles better than OEM, I paid around $350 and did the install myself.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:23 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Go with the reach seat or get the stock seat modified, the SG already sacrifices an inch of shock travel compared to EG. Shorter shocks will make the SG ride and handle like crap, lowering blocks will have the same effect.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:42 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,177 Likes on 2,448 Posts

love all the naysayers who say it can't be done or it'll ride like ****, etc....

well, it can be done, and it will not ride like crap either. no, it won't ride like a cadillac anymore, but it won't be a bad ride.

i'm short, 5'5'' on a good day, less than 29'' inseam. i ride a road glide custom. to make it fit me i have a danny grey speed solo saddle, and i've also sent my shocks to bitchin baggers and had them reworked to 11-1/4''. i still can not totally flat foot, but close enough. i do not have a problem with lean angles, even though i am using a 3/4'' floorboard extension from soos.

love my bike and don't have a problem with long days in the saddle.

it can be done.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:46 PM
rk10
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im 5'9" with a 29' inseam and bought a 2010 Road King which is taller than a Street Glide. First sat on the bike and could only touch with my toes. I did what others have said, Reach Seat and lowered rear shocks but it is still as tall as a SG. Went with the thickest soles on a HD boot that I could find. Sounds silly but put in thick Dr. Scholls foot pads and I was fairly flat footed. The seat has now been "broke-in" and Im comfortable and flat-footed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! I'm too short!