Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED tail light and signal conversion??

Old 07-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Bearcat1
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LED tail light and signal conversion??

I recently installed the HD LED tail light along with the conversion kit that turns rear signals into red brake lights. Looks great but now there is about about a 3 second delay in my turn signal brake lights going back to just tail light shining compared to the LED main brake light when I release brakes. Main LED brake light goes back instantly then few seconds later the signals go back. Can someone tell me if a load equalizer will correct this and get the turn signal lamps and main LED tail lamp changing back at same time? Turn signals bulbs are still standard bulbs. Just main tail lamp is LED. I've read where the load equalizer will correct problems for actually changing your turn signals bulbs to LED's but not so sure this is the same problem since the main tail lamp is involved too. Any electronic whizzes out there?

Thanks

Old 07-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Demolitionman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it should not be the problem. if it was, the turn signals should be blinking fast as if they were LED without a load equalizer. not sure what the problem might be though.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:45 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't believe the "kit" needs an equalizer.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Bearcat1
Tourer

Originally Posted by Demolitionman
it should not be the problem. if it was, the turn signals should be blinking fast as if they were LED without a load equalizer. not sure what the problem might be though.
Blinking is normal. Only a delay in the turn signals changing back compared to the LED tail light. Definitely has something to do with the LED tail light and the signal conversion interface. Im guessing either one would work fine without the other and nothing additional would be needed to work correctly. Surely somebody out there has this setup??

Old 07-15-2011, 03:04 PM
wheel752
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talk to badlands... out of nevada... they know it all

Old 07-16-2011, 05:45 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

If it was me I'd get rid of the Run/Brake/Turn module and install the HD LED Turnsignals.I'm very happy with the operation and intensity of them.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Did you have the RTB on the bike before the HD LED tail light? If so, did everything operate properly?

I'd suspect the problem is the RTB module or LED tail light. I have the BAL-1R tail light w/ the HD RTB module and everything works fine.

You could check the bulb sockets for corrosion; clean them up; add some dilectric grease; and see if that helps.

Hope you find your problem.

Carl

Old 07-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Bearcat1
Tourer

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Did you have the RTB on the bike before the HD LED tail light? If so, did everything operate properly?

I'd suspect the problem is the RTB module or LED tail light. I have the BAL-1R tail light w/ the HD RTB module and everything works fine.

You could check the bulb sockets for corrosion; clean them up; add some dilectric grease; and see if that helps.

Hope you find your problem.

Carl
I installed the RTB first with the stock tail light and it worked fine. Few weeks later I installed the LED Tail light. That's when I first noticed it. All the bulb sockets are good as I checked and regreased them when I installed the RTB module. I'll keep digging.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:49 AM
GMPSKI
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was this issue resolved? I have the exact same condition and problem. I did some testing and found that the problem is only evident when the led tail light is added.