Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to change the trottle grip

Old 07-28-2011, 02:32 PM
dallen
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking How to change the trottle grip

I have a 2011 Ultra Limited with an electronic trottle. When I change the trottle grip is there any special steps to take to adjust the electronic trottle when I put the trottle side switch housing back together?

Old 07-28-2011, 02:46 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's much easier with throttle by wire. Nothing to it really just a gear at the end of the bars that slide into the teeth in the end of the grip.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:50 PM
JRBass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like he said. One of the easiest mods you will do. just split the control housing and slide off old grip and slide on the new one. I will tell you to do the left one first cause of the way the left non-glue grips are made this will set the angle of any pattern the grips have and so then you can match the right to the left.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:07 PM
2010 Raffel Road King
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also make sure you put a spacer in the brake handle to protect the brake switch.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:16 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

LOL! I always grab my trottle right behind the head.....with both hands!

Old 07-28-2011, 03:55 PM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you buy new heated grips? The Limited has heated grips so if you change them dont you need ones that are heated? I would like to change mine but was under the impression I would have to buy heated ones and they are just so dang expensive. Am I missing something?

Old 07-29-2011, 12:44 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JRBass
Like he said. One of the easiest mods you will do. just split the control housing and slide off old grip and slide on the new one. I will tell you to do the left one first cause of the way the left non-glue grips are made this will set the angle of any pattern the grips have and so then you can match the right to the left.
I'd do the opposite -- The angle of the gear teeth are going to dictate one of only a few possible resting positions over a 90 degree twist -- The left grip can twist during install to match the right.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:07 AM
karbar99
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnScrip
I'd do the opposite -- The angle of the gear teeth are going to dictate one of only a few possible resting positions over a 90 degree twist -- The left grip can twist during install to match the right.
NOPE, Wrong, not talking a glue on grip. These new left hand side grips seat in "one" position only. Look up grips on the HD site for the OP's 2011 then click on installation instructions, then read about the left grip install.
Left side first unless you don't care to match them in the event the grip purchased has a rotating pattern.

Not sure what you're talking about on the right side having a 90 degree twist as the right side (TBW) grip can be installed at any 360 degrees.

Last edited by karbar99; 07-29-2011 at 04:03 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:58 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 2WheelGlider
Did you buy new heated grips? The Limited has heated grips so if you change them dont you need ones that are heated? I would like to change mine but was under the impression I would have to buy heated ones and they are just so dang expensive. Am I missing something?
No, you do not need to replace the heated grips with heated grips. My hands seldom get cold so I decided to forego buying heated grips. I simply bought Kury ISO grips (unheated). I put heat shrink over the ends of the heater wires inside the handlebars, then to be double sure I wrapped the wires with electric tape. The Kurys went on without a problem. I now have 1600 miles on these without a complaint.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:13 AM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Raffel Road King
Also make sure you put a spacer in the brake handle to protect the brake switch.
+1 Ask me how I know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to change the trottle grip