Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Buffeting - let's understand this

Old 10-21-2006, 01:33 PM
warren888
Account Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windshield Buffeting - let's understand this

Lots of people have talked about buffeting from HD windshields.

I'd like to try and get this straightened out.

On my bike (an '06 lowrider with standard compact windshield - quick remove) I find it is VERY dependant on headwinds.

I ride with a helmet, and I start to notice some helmet buffeting at around 55+ MPH (virtually none at 45). As I increase speed, buffeting increases. If there is a headwind, it is MUCH worse. With a tail wind, I sometimes have no buffeting.

So - in my opinion, it seems to be very dependant on the velocity of wind going past the windshield - and the magic number is 55 - 60 mph.

Btw - at 70 - 75 mph, while I have buffeting, it is not horrible to ride. However, with a strong headwind, it can be quite annoying.

I would also like to understand people's perception of bike buffeting (feeling the bike being blown by the wind and steering vibration) vs helmet buffeting.

So - let's get some data here from everyone:

a). What speed do you feel helmet buffeting
b). Do you think it depends on wind direction
c). Do you feel overall bike buffeting (wind catching the bike)
d). Do you feel bike buffeting differences with or without windshield on
e). Have you found any tricks to reduce the effect?
f). What is your opinion - is it specific to HD windshields, and why is this occurring?

Looking forward to trying to catch some common threads here.

Old 10-21-2006, 01:45 PM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Windshield Buffeting - let's understand this

I can't speak for the Harley windshield,I've got a Windvest windshield which is very small but does all I want it to.

When I first installed it the buffeting was terrible even at low speeds. I raised it up an inch and kept changing the angle of the screen til the buffeting was eleminated but there was still a ton of wind coming up from around the tank. Did a tank lift and put a small handlebar bag at the base of the screen and have no buffeting at all and not much wind coming up from the tank. I can run for hours at eighty and be very comfortable with a half helmet on.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 10-21-2006, 02:53 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the wide touring windshield, quick release. Like you said, it's wind dependant, and therefore speed dependant. The new style windshield clamps around the fork tubes. There's nothing to install on the bike. The advantage to that is you can move the shield up and down for your own comfort.

I like to look over the top of the shield, not through it. So I started by placing the shield as low as it would go. Got a little helmet buffeting at 85mph with a slight cross wind. So I stopped and raised it a couple inches. Buffeting got worse! That tells me most of the turbulance comes up from below, not over the top.

I'm thinking of buying some lower shields from Rifle to use on longer trips.

Old 10-21-2006, 07:47 PM
warren888
Account Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a few people have found the buffeting is coming from under the windshield (i hear this from Towjam as well).

The trick of putting a fork bag on is interesting - which has a side effect of blocking the wind under there.

Old 10-22-2006, 04:03 AM
DougsDyna
Banned

Not to be a smart $ss, but after reading so much about winsheilds with noise, buffeting, and other quirks that they have, I won't ever bother getting one.
I ride with a half helmet during warmer weather, and don't have buffeting problems, even at 120 mph.
On occassion I do get some tearing, but that is because I just wear corrective lenses for eye protection.
Cooler weather, I wear a 3/4 helmet.
Cold weather I wear a modular full-face.

Do windsheilds really give much protection from the elements (rain,etc.)??

Old 10-22-2006, 04:14 AM
dgator66
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Doug, I have a sporty and a StreetGlide. The fairing/windshield does offer a whole lot of protection. No doubt about it. I did go from the 4 inch factory windshield to a 9 inch for use in longer rides. The guys I ride with ride a sporty and superglide, respectively. The friend with the superglide is keeping my bagger while I am deployed and told me that as soon as I get home and he has to give my bike back, he is buying a StreetGlide. I wear a half helmet, even in cold weather and have had the bike over 100 on several occassions without buffetting, since I put the 9 inch on.

Old 10-22-2006, 04:20 AM
Alaska Bobber
Road Captain

I just removed my mirrors and flipped the right side upside down and hung it off the bottom of the left hand. I was suprised as hell to notice that the airflow is much "smoother" now. I can actually see the Left lane better now as well.

I don't use a windshield. I wear a fullface on longer rides on the interstate or in the cold. A good fullface will do wonders.

I have a buddy who has a Lowrider with a Memphis shades I think. He was just as wet and cold as I was after our last ride through some weather. He is constantly bitching about the buffetting. He screws with the angle and height at almost every stop it seems. That convinced me to not get a windshield.

Old 10-22-2006, 12:31 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

ORIGINAL: dgator66

Doug, I have a sporty and a StreetGlide. The fairing/windshield does offer a whole lot of protection. No doubt about it. I did go from the 4 inch factory windshield to a 9 inch for use in longer rides. The guys I ride with ride a sporty and superglide, respectively. The friend with the superglide is keeping my bagger while I am deployed and told me that as soon as I get home and he has to give my bike back, he is buying a StreetGlide. I wear a half helmet, even in cold weather and have had the bike over 100 on several occassions without buffetting, since I put the 9 inch on.
dgator66,
Not fair to mention your StreetGlide to me............ I had taken my Dyna in for warranty at my dealers, 100 mile trip, oneway.
I got to spend the whole day hanging out, talking to other Harley owners, and checking out the nice selection of new and used bikes.
Well, I liked 'em all, but of all the bikes there, the StreetGlide is the one I really think I could trade my Dyna for.
I kinda wish I could afford my Dyna, a StreetGlide, RoadKing, Softtail Deluxe, and a Sportster.

That StreetGlide is a really beautiful bike in black. Oh well, when I win the lottery... Thanks for that input.

DougJ

Old 10-22-2006, 02:25 PM
stubby
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug; I resisted gettng a windshield for my dyna. Rode an 06 since last March and purchased a tinted low profile this September. It blocks the wind from my chest and I'm not having to clean my glasses at every stop; no bugs. I like the low profile because it doesn't interfer with vision. Even though it will be a while until I take it off, the quick release makes that easy.

Old 10-22-2006, 03:48 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: DougsDyna

Not to be a smart $ss, but after reading so much about winsheilds with noise, buffeting, and other quirks that they have, I won't ever bother getting one.

Do windsheilds really give much protection from the elements (rain,etc.)??
Yes, they do. Around town I prefer to leave it off, especially in the summer. But longer trips with higher speeds are much more comfortable with the windshield on. It's a huge improvement.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield Buffeting - let's understand this