Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

connecting rods

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 07:17 AM
vbx07
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question connecting rods

Ok this is my first time posting on this section so please be gentle. I have a question about the connecting rods used on a 08 96 in motor. My motor is completly apart right now and my builder replaced the flywheel's due to a rod knock. I went to see the progress he was making and noticed something odd. The rods on the old crank where taperd. The rod's on the new crank are not. After doing a little searching, the new crank rod's look like the same one's used on a 88 in. motor. Is that possible? Could you tell me if the moco ever used the non taperd rod's on a newer motor, say 07 and up? Anyone?

Old 07-31-2011, 09:51 AM
MBrown
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

The upgraded rods I've seen do not have the taper for 07+. It will be fine.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:57 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,780 Posts

How bought some history. How many miles, what lead up to the knock. Do they know what caused it? Are the replacement parts Harley or aftermarket?

Old 07-31-2011, 04:32 PM
vbx07
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default new motor!

Ok, a little backround as requested. I bought the bike new in april of 07. After about a month, I was talked into a t-max and high flow air cleaner, and changed muffler's to se supertrapp's. It was better, but still was not impressed. I worked at an aftermarket custom bike shop. The owner talked to me about true dual setup, rinehart's to be exact. We put these on and there was a very noticble differance in performance! Bike woke right up! Then I went with a 103 done by the owner with 627 redshift cam's. Bike sounded like it was going to blow up! Soon found out through zipper's that the first run of the 627's were mirror cut with no ramp's. Valve's were slamming shut. I then suggested se 255 cam's and it ran great but still not as quiet as I wanted it but I got used to it. Then the oil pump gear broke and motor was replaced under warranty with a 08 103 police motor with 255's installed at the dealer. Bike ran good, but then my buddie's bike broke down and it went to larry's hot rod's and harley's for a new top end with reaper 574 cam's. Before this I alway's walked him but with his new setup, he repaid the favor. I could not have that! So over the winter I had larry do a 107 kit to my perfectly running 103. We went with the same reaper cam and a street port with bigger intake and exhaust. Then the moment of truth came when I was riding with my buddy and I said to him "come get some", at which he replied" bring it don't sing it". Well I brought it all right, beat him three time's and told him why. I asked him to lean over my bike and take a deep breath through your nose, where he would smell the solvent that is used to degrease and clean the motor as it wad just rebuilt! All was right with the world again until I got back from a trip with my wife from up state pa. I started hearing what sounded like a lose compensator nut or primary chain issue. Took it in this past week and to my disgust found out I had developed a rod knock! So larry worked hard to get it done yesterday and break it in today! He installed a new upgraded crank hence my original question about the rod's, also new 107 wiesco forged piston's new lifter's ,lefty bearing, and reassembled. Just got back from a heat cycle session and I must say that this motor is wisper quiet! Doesn't matter what rpm. Tommorow I'm off to lake George in up state new york. We'll see how she hold's up. That's my story with some minor detail's left out. Wheeew!

Last edited by vbx07; 07-31-2011 at 04:37 PM.