Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Bore Kit

Old 08-03-2011, 06:16 AM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Big Bore Kit

My Electra has a 95" big bore kit installed. Previous owner confirmed it and dealer service mgr confirmed it also.

Now can any of you tell me whats involved in this "kit"?? I feel dumb for asking but I'm trying to educate myself!

A little about the bike.. It has screaming eagle badging on the air cleaner and timing cover.

It has Rinehart pipes and unlike stock bikes I've seen, the exhaust comes off the fron cylinder and runs down the right side... off the rear cylinder the pipe goes down the left side...They dont run down the right side of the bike and one crosses over just ahead of the tire.

So I'm guessing it has a fuel remap and different air cleaner? Are the pipes actually headers? Would this kit also include HYD tensioners?

Old 08-03-2011, 06:45 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,943 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Originally Posted by Challenger
My Electra has a 95" big bore kit installed. Previous owner confirmed it and dealer service mgr confirmed it also.

Now can any of you tell me whats involved in this "kit"?? I feel dumb for asking but I'm trying to educate myself!

A little about the bike.. It has screaming eagle badging on the air cleaner and timing cover.

It has Rinehart pipes and unlike stock bikes I've seen, the exhaust comes off the fron cylinder and runs down the right side... off the rear cylinder the pipe goes down the left side...They dont run down the right side of the bike and one crosses over just ahead of the tire.

So I'm guessing it has a fuel remap and different air cleaner? Are the pipes actually headers? Would this kit also include HYD tensioners?
Sounds like it has Rinehart true duals which are actually headers. The big bore kit contains larger bore cylinders and slightly larger pistons. You have a stage 1 air cleaner and either a dealer download or a fuel management system like a SERT or PCIII. I doubt it has the hydraulic tensioners depending on when it was done.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:38 AM
Challenger
Road Master

Thanks! It was done a little over a year ago from what i've been told

Old 08-03-2011, 08:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

It might be worth asking more questions! The 95" kit may have been done as part of a wider upgrade, including changing the cam tensioner plate. Installing the new jugs involved taking the heads off, pushrods etc, which would have made fitting an SE hydraulic tensioner easy, in fact a very sensible 2-in-1 upgrade!

Old 08-03-2011, 08:27 AM
Challenger
Road Master

Exactly what I was thinking! I asked the previous owner and all he told me was "they did the top end last spring"

Talking to the service mgr and I was told "it has a 95"kit" When asked about the cam tensioners I was told "no"??

Old 08-03-2011, 09:40 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,489 Posts

Now can any of you tell me whats involved in this "kit"??
Big bore kit involves increasing the bore from 3.750" to 3.875" which increases total displacement from 88" to 95". There is a Stage I and Stage II big bore upgrade; Stage I is cylinders and pistons only; Stage II includes SE203 cams and SE clutch spring.

You can put badges on a tricycle.

As someone has pointed out, the exhaust system is a set of Rinehart True Duals. Headpipes are stepped headers; true dual just means that the exhausr from the front and rear cylinders is not combined.

Originally Posted by Challlenger
So I'm guessing it has a fuel remap and different air cleaner? Are the pipes actually headers?
A fuel management system would have been a sensible part of the upgrade but not everyone does that. Some go with the dealer "flash" to the ECM, some go with "pot" type systems that add fuel like re-jetting a carburetor. A more sophisticated fuel management system like the SERT, TTS, SEST, PC would not necessarily be required for just an increase in displacement. If cams were installed as part of the upgrade, it would have made sense to installe a more sophisticated fuel management system and have the new configuraiton dyno tuned. This is worth more investigation and you should be asking the seller. If a system like the SERT, TTS, etc. was installed you should have received software and cables. If one of the DynoJet PC system is installed, it will be under the seat and clearly visible. If the motor had been dyno tuned, I would have expected the seller to provide a dyno sheet as well.

Would this kit also include HYD tensioners?
No but this would be a good upgrade and easy enough to check; just pull the cam cover. You shoud do that anyway and check the cam chain tensioners for wear.