Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI 25284-08 vs 25284-11 Hybrid Conversion Kit

Old 08-05-2011, 11:25 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,489 Posts
Default FYI 25284-08 vs 25284-11 Hybrid Conversion Kit

Posted this info in another thread but I think it deserves it's on thread.

The 25284-08 hybrid conversion kit has been discontinued and replaced with PN 25284-11 and the "new" PN will cost about $70 more. Mind you, the contend of the kit has not changed, same parts. When the inventory of the -08 kits is gone, only the -11 Pn will be available.

The MoCo knows how to make money. Some bean counter has recognized the increasing demand for the hybrid kit and figured out how deep that market is. Think about it; how many '99-'06 models are still running around with the old style tensioners?

I checked with Zanotti's today and they have two -08 ktis on order but don't know if they will get them. So, if you are looking to convert using the 25284-08 kit, get on the stick and buy one before they are all gone.

I did see the -11kit for $399 on Surdyke's website.

http://www.surdyke.com/AdvPartInfo.a...umber=25284-11

Last edited by djl; 08-05-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:06 PM
mrmud4x4
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If the contents are the same....it's probably due more to inflation than anything else.....

Check out all the chips/crackers/noodles/cereals/whatever, You are getting less amount in the same box/can for the same or more money.

and if you are a coffee drinker......$$$$$$$$$

(I thought the pump in the new kit is different....flows even better?)

Last edited by mrmud4x4; 08-05-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:19 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by mrmud4x4
If the contents are the same....it's probably due more to inflation than anything else.....

(I thought the pump in the new kit is different....flows even better?)
Gotta call BS on inflation; close to a 20% increase! Give me a break; it's a money grab pure and simple.

Not sure about the pump improvements; you could be right. The Zanotti's parts guys were not aware of a pump upgrade but I have read somewhere else that the pump has been upgraded. I have searched parts on the Harley sitebut haven't found anything. Maybe it will appear in the 2012 SE Performance Catalog but it's not out for download yet.

It gets worse, the new cam plate does not have a pinion bearing. Even if the oil pump has been upgraded, I don't see the part being worth another $70 and still think the move by the MoCo is a money grab.

Last edited by djl; 08-05-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:09 PM
mrmud4x4
Road Captain

Originally Posted by djl
Gotta call BS on inflation; close to a 20% increase! Give me a break; it's a money grab pure and simple.
read: 20-30% increase in steel

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...801078352.html

Well.....you better hold on to your wallet....gonna be more companies looking for a money grab.

Just because ABC CBS MSNBC CNN haven't been reporting the unprecedented inflation...don't mean it ain't happening....

coffee and creamer have doubled in price in the last year.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:17 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Well.....you better hold on to your wallet....gonna be more companies looking for a money grab.

Just because ABC CBS MSNBC CNN haven't been reporting the unprecedented inflation...don't mean it ain't happening....

I just don't buy it; the other metal H-D parts haven't gone up 20%.

This whole thing started when the MoCo first introduced the SE billet cam plate for the '99-'06 models. It would work with gear drives or the spring tensioners and was a hot item. Then the MoCo figured out that they could cut into the aftermarket gear drive business and they discontinued the early billet plate and developed the Hybrid kit, included the billet plate, later/upgraded oil pump and hydraulic tensioners. They did take a bite away from the gear drive aftermarket. Now they see another opprtunity by offering the billet plate and a more upgraded oil pump for the '06 and later models.

Can't convince me that it's not about the $$$. Why else would the MoCo invest in manufacturing the upgrade? Remember H-D stands for hundred dollars! JMHO

Last edited by djl; 08-05-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:33 PM
mrmud4x4
Road Captain

well...industries/companies are gonna always try to make the same or more profits if they can.....

I work in a plant that employs 2500 folks. Everything that I buy as a lead instrumentation tech has gone up 20-40% over the last 1-2 years. I have been printing out the stockroom records on instruments going back 6-10 years as part of cost savings. We have been tasked to reduce spending and energy use. We have also been tasked to submit cost savings packages - which I have submitted 4....

These instruments are made out of every type of metal and plastic and everything has gone up......we deal with more than 10,000 calibrations annually.

Every time we have a failure....I am amazed at how much a new instrument costs now as compared to 2 years ago.

In the end.....the consumer will pay....

Old 08-06-2011, 08:38 AM
2002EGlide
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm ready to make the upgrade. My bike has 45k on it. I have checked and replaced the outer tensioner once. I am leaning more towards gear drive to not have to deal with any tensioner and the loss of power in the chain.

I noticed on flea bay this Andrews gear drive kit. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COMPL...Q5fAccessories

I figure if I do the labor myself I could have the gear drive set up for the cost of the hybrid kit and labor at the indy. That is if my run out is within spec.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:48 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

The people who say we aren't experiencing inflation are either lying or they don't buy things.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:59 AM
mrmud4x4
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 2002EGlide
I'm ready to make the upgrade. My bike has 45k on it. I have checked and replaced the outer tensioner once. I am leaning more towards gear drive to not have to deal with any tensioner and the loss of power in the chain.

I noticed on flea bay this Andrews gear drive kit. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COMPL...Q5fAccessories

I figure if I do the labor myself I could have the gear drive set up for the cost of the hybrid kit and labor at the indy. That is if my run out is within spec.
This past week I have bought just about everything I need....tools....the New Wood RCC-2 Hydraulic upgrade along with the more expensive Wood TW6-6 cams, FM pushrods, Exhaust gaskets, cover gasket. I am in for $1129 and am expecting to install all myself next weekend.
(I am not expecting any loss of power with the new cams...lol)

I noticed that andrews kit does not include pushrods....seems a little expensive....I think you can get that set-up a little cheaper, have you looked at the andrews web site? I think you can get everything from them cheaper?

I got the hydraulic setup because I did not want to worry about shaft run out and because it contains the higher flow oil pump.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:26 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by vickers1
The people who say we aren't experiencing inflation are either lying or they don't buy things.
I am not denying there is inflation; I see it every time I buy groceries. However, I am not buying that inflation is the reason for a near 20% increase in the cost of the 25284-08 cam plate conversion when it was discontinued and replaced by the 25284-11 conversion kit when the only thing that changed was the oil pump capacity. I think the MoCo sees the demand for those conversion kits increasing and the potential future sales considering all the '99-'06 models and the depth of the market as well as taking market share away from the gear drive aftermarket.

If you want to believe inflation is the cause for that increase, that's up to you but I don't buy it.

Last edited by djl; 08-06-2011 at 02:38 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FYI 25284-08 vs 25284-11 Hybrid Conversion Kit