EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Mechanical to Electric Speedometer conversion

Old 10-24-2009, 09:18 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts
Default Mechanical to Electric Speedometer conversion

The speedometer on my 1998 FLHTCUI has been messing up for awhile now. Actually, the odometer and trip are messing up. After I fuel up, I like to reset the trip back to zero so I can calculate the mpg. However and often, the trip will get stuck on 100 and will not keep going. At that point, I just have to reset it loosing how many miles I have traveled.

The question is.....has anyone converted to the stock Harley electronic speedometer? I know it will require the speed sensor that goes to the transmission...the transmission already has the block off plate for the sensor. Therefore the sensor can be installed there with no problems. What I don't know is.....is there wiring in the fairing that can make the electronic speedometer work? I wouldn't mind finding the connector and splice into the harness if I had to. I suppose the speedometer only needs to get power from something in the fairing.

During that time, the Sporters, Dyna's, and Roadkings all had the electronic speedometer. I don't remember about the Softail though.....

I do know the FL series all went to electric speedometers in 2000/2001. The FL's were the last to get the electric type.

Any ideas...........

Old 10-25-2009, 07:46 AM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had a 99 with the electronic speedO and a 94 with the analog, if I was You, I'd just get the one you have fixed or replaced. The LCD odometer grayed out 3 times on the 99 and it was expensive.

I'm pretty sure you will have issues with the blinkers if you make the change. They are timed based on how many feet you travel after turning them on and you will have to deal with rewiring that. I'm not sure but the blinker module may be different and they are a bit pricey. My 94 is held on by two ruberized studs, not sure about the newer ones but if they are different the frame piece it sits on will need to be changed as well.

Sorry but I'm not sure of these things since I've not tried it, just throwing them out there as you'll need to check them out..Good luck

Doug

Old 10-25-2009, 08:20 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It can be do, heck anything can be done with enough money. I am not sure if the reed switch impulse from the mechanical speedo is the same as the electronic. That would mean changing the TSM to a later model along with the rewiring of affected systems. The pickup and the speedo have to be matched or you will need a calibrator like S&S or Dakota Digital sell. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:15 PM
stevelonewolf
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off check your transmission for a pick up sensor cap that has a 1/4-20 thread allen bolt holding it on. If you have one, you can buy a sensor with wire harness that has a 3 prong duetch connector plug in from Dakota Digital p/n-SEN-1017(ret.90.00) to match up to the Dakota Digital resetable tripometer Speedo made for your scoot,which is p/n-HLY-3011(96-05fairings)(ret.$280.00). If you do not have that trans plug cover, Dakota Digital has a rear wheel sensor that takes the place of your wheel spacer. Dakota Digital p/n-SEN-1018(ret.$120.00). You calibrate through your tripometer.Mark off 1 mile depress your tripometer til it says "cal"release ride at one speed(30mph)stop,depress tripometer once and you're good to go.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:19 AM
kappyk66
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will that dakota digital rear wheel sensor work with Stock HD speedos?

Old 01-06-2010, 10:19 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by kappyk66
Will that dakota digital rear wheel sensor work with Stock HD speedos?
yes, but you need to add a calibrator.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:50 PM
kappyk66
Novice
Default Which one?

What calibrator? There are a ton out there and I'm f'in lost.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:43 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by kappyk66
What calibrator? There are a ton out there and I'm f'in lost.
Dakota Digital and S& S are the two best that we've found. When you mount the pickup on the rear wheel be sure to use some tie-wraps to hold the wire securely to the bottom of the swing arm. Failure to do so will definetly make you wish you did when the bolt heads "chew through the wires like a First Sergeant through a recruits a$$". Hope this helps.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:01 AM
roadkingrider1975
Stage I
Default help with speedometer

miacycles, you said it this forum that you could use a dakota digital rear wheel sensor on a stock harley speedometer. i looked on there website and it says they will not work with stock harley speedos. im asking this out of curiosity..have you actually made one of these sensors work with a stock speedo? if this will actually work this will save me some big bucks.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:03 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

What are you trying to do?? Use a stock electric on cable drive system??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mechanical to Electric Speedometer conversion