General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear brake pedal adjustment??

Old 08-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Ventana
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default rear brake pedal adjustment??

Is there a way to adjust the rear brake pedal angle?

I was practicing starting and stopping in a parking lot the other day and realized that in order to get any sort of stopping power out of the rear brake I had to actually "roll" my foot over the peg and press down. is this normal? I'm a new rider so I guess I am thinking it should be sort of like the brake on a cage.

Once I get the emergency stopping and stuff down pat I'll be ready for the road :-) I was having a few problems in that area and have been working on them 1 at a time. at first the height of the bike was just a little too high for me and planting my foot without having the whole weight of the bike come down on my left leg was a problem, a new seat and rear shock adjustment pretty much fixed that problem. I mat send my seat out this winter for a minor adjustment to make it perfect.

Also, having lowered the rear shocks to it's lowest setting, staying within the stock settings, I don't need to do anything to the front forks, do I??

The following users liked this post:
brownie4412 (11-25-2019)
Old 08-07-2011, 04:46 PM
lowriderrob
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ventana, Yes you can adjust the pedal height, and it is easy to do. If you follow the actuator rod from the pedal to the rear brake master cylinder, you'll see where the rod goes into the master cylinder. You will need 2 open end wrenches. One to hold the mastercylinder piece, the other to loosen the jamb nut. Once the jamb nut is loose, by turning the part that comes out of the master cylinder, unscrew rod out the master cylinder sleeve to raise the pedal, or screw it in to lower the pedal. If you are raising the pedal (unscrewing the rod) the Service manual says to make sure that at least 9 threads remain in the master cylinder. Then using the 2 wrenches again re-tighten the jamb nut.

The following users liked this post:
Halcyon1 (06-24-2020)
Old 08-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Ventana
Cruiser

Thanks, Rob. I have the manual, don't know how I missed that.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:44 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you adjust this pedal. How much wear do you have on them rear pads? My pedal gets lower then I like when my rear pads are about ready for a change out.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Ventana
Cruiser

Ah, good point. I'll check that out. I have the bike about 2 months and haven't really put much miles on it but when i had it service they said they were good.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:30 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 352 Posts

All good advice. One last point if I may. Before you adjust anything, bleed the brakes. The bike isn't new any more and with brake pad wear and age can come tiny bubbles that affect pedal feel. I like to suck all the old fluid out of the master, refill it and pump and bleed the caliper till clean fluid comes out. I'm not saying this will fix or cure your symptom, but its never a bad idea and it may be contributing to a minor adjustment issue.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Ventana
Cruiser

Yeah, bleeding sounds like the thing to do also.

I was gonna wait until the end of the riding season and have all the fluids changed and the pads done as a sort of clean start. I bought it used and don't know when they were done last.