Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resetting the ECM?

Old 08-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Heavy D
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resetting the ECM?

Can someone describe how you reset the ECM?

Something about turning the ignition on/off three times very quickly?

Old 08-18-2011, 10:20 AM
dohadex
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Resetting ECM...

Turning the ignition on/off three times will reset the ECM when the "limp home" mode is in effect. This will usually clear it.

What was the reason you need to do this?

Old 08-18-2011, 01:31 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

When you are turning the ignition off and on be sure the run/stop switch is in run position. You don't do it very quickly. Turn it on, wait a couple of seconds, turn off, repeat

Old 08-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Heavy D
Cruiser

OK thanks. The reason I was wondering is because I will be installing a Zippers Maxflow in a few weeks(on an otherwise stock bike), and read somewhere that it's a good idea to reset the ECM afterwards.

My plans include some SE Fatshotz and a Stage 1 download on the stock ECM next spring.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:57 PM
dohadex
Road Captain

There is no "resetting" required then if you plan to put those peices on. What you should think about is a fuel management module...Power Commander V, or something similar. DO NOT waste your Canadian $$ on a Stage 1 download!

Please do some research on this forum about this. That's how I learned and it was the best sourse of info regarding fuel injection subjects. It seams complicated at first....but it's really not too bad.

Good luck.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Heavy D
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dohadex
There is no "resetting" required then if you plan to put those peices on. What you should think about is a fuel management module...Power Commander V, or something similar. DO NOT waste your Canadian $$ on a Stage 1 download!

Please do some research on this forum about this. That's how I learned and it was the best sourse of info regarding fuel injection subjects. It seams complicated at first....but it's really not too bad.

Good luck.
Thing is that, there are no tuner shops anywhere near here. There is a Harley dealer 20 min across the border in Caribou Maine, that's it. I wouldn't know the first thing about setting a fuel processor, so I figured I'd hop over to the HD shop in Caribou and get the download on the stock ECM.

I also heard about some units being pre-programmed for your particular application, but other than working around the battery area, I would be comfortable lifting the tank and such. Tried it once on my 05 Nomad, and ended up kinking the fuel line and shorting another wire.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:28 PM
KevinKruuz
6th Gear

I just replaced the fuel pressure regulator on my '01 Road King EFI. When I put it all back together and plugged everything back up the LED fuel and battery lights toggle back and forth and the bike will not start. Do you think an ECM "reset" will remedy this DoHaDex. Prior to disassembling the tank, battery cable, etc the fuel and battery read out was working just fine.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:38 AM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinKruuz
I just replaced the fuel pressure regulator on my '01 Road King EFI. When I put it all back together and plugged everything back up the LED fuel and battery lights toggle back and forth and the bike will not start. Do you think an ECM "reset" will remedy this DoHaDex. Prior to disassembling the tank, battery cable, etc the fuel and battery read out was working just fine.
Check the condition of your fuses.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:56 AM
TickTock
Club Member

Originally Posted by Heavy D
Thing is that, there are no tuner shops anywhere near here. There is a Harley dealer 20 min across the border in Caribou Maine, that's it. I wouldn't know the first thing about setting a fuel processor, so I figured I'd hop over to the HD shop in Caribou and get the download on the stock ECM.

I also heard about some units being pre-programmed for your particular application, but other than working around the battery area, I would be comfortable lifting the tank and such. Tried it once on my 05 Nomad, and ended up kinking the fuel line and shorting another wire.
In my opinion the stage downloads are a waste of money. They are a one time shot and since they are generic, they are not specific to your customization.

I would advise that you give FuelMoto a call/email and see what they can offer with your setup. The nice thing about having a tuner is that it will be a much closer match (if not spot on) to your customizations AND it can be reprogrammed as you continue to customize.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:11 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,560 Likes on 4,607 Posts

on for 30 seconds, off 30 seconds, repeat 4 times this is a throttle reset and yes it should be done any time you disconnect the ecm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Resetting the ECM?