Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

1999 Ultra Classic Dead

Old 08-21-2011, 08:38 AM
MFDFF44
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1999 Ultra Classic Dead

I have a 1999 Ultra Classic with 52,000 miles on it. The other day I had just left my house when I lost all power to the motorcycle. When I would turn the ingition on I had no power. I removed the seat to get at the battery and found that it still had a charge. Also I had a clicking sound coming from around the battery housing. I got the dike home and started checking things. The battery cables seem ok. The ground has a good connection at both the battery and where it is grounded on the bike. Any ideas to what is wrong?

Old 08-21-2011, 08:41 AM
MFDFF44
6th Gear

Also I checked all the fuses and they were fine

Old 08-21-2011, 09:08 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the main circuit breaker in the cavity in front of the battery.

Although not your year bike it shows the breaker location.
http://www.pvc.maricopa.edu/~preston/M1151.pdf

Last edited by ajayrk; 08-21-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:15 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by MFDFF44
I have a 1999 Ultra Classic with 52,000 miles on it. The other day I had just left my house when I lost all power to the motorcycle. When I would turn the ingition on I had no power. I removed the seat to get at the battery and found that it still had a charge. Also I had a clicking sound coming from around the battery housing. I got the dike home and started checking things. The battery cables seem ok. The ground has a good connection at both the battery and where it is grounded on the bike. Any ideas to what is wrong?
just a quick guess:
northern bike..salt and water.
relay or connection at relay poor/corrossion.
recheck battery..although it may have 12 volts..one cell might be shot and not enough amps.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:16 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

also check ground cable from battery (black) from battery to frame..check both ends.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:42 PM
MFDFF44
6th Gear

Thanks for all the advice. I put the battery on the charger and found out that it would not take a charge. So I replaced that. I also replaced the circuit breaker. I also double checked the ground wires and both are fine also the relays tested ok. But I am still having the same problem. No power to the bike and a click from some where around the engine that clicks like every 10 seconds. Any other ideas?

Old 08-23-2011, 07:32 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

As mention by another poster. Consider checking main circuit breaker. Sounds as if you have a short circuit that heats the circuit breaker up. When it cools down it connects then heats up again. Did you just change hand levers ,controls, add something electric, lowered rear and wheel scuffed the wires inside rear fender? did you add lights? turn all extra lights and stuff off and see if you can isolate.
Trying to understand:
#1-when you turn the switch to on there is no power,lights and no cranking and you hear a click,click
#2-is the switch on the handlebars on or off run when this happens?
#3 i understand you changed the breaker but did you check for a short circuit?
#4 you checked BOTH ground wires? do you mean positive and negative at battery? did you follow negative to frame and positive to the starter?
#5 does the position of handlebar effect the situation..full right ..full left..straight...looking for a short due to position of handlebars...
*I just remembered that a BAS/VAS sensor could cause the same problem..the sensor that tells bike it fell and kills the power and fuel pump..1999 had an issue due to placement..caused it to give false readings under a side cover.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:35 AM
MFDFF44
6th Gear
Default update

This is long overdue. I had a friend come over and we went through all of the wires coming off the battery one by one. We took each wire and hooked it up to the battery one by one to see where the problem was. We ended up finding the wire that was a problem. We traced it up into the front fairing and found that there was a short in one of the wires. We repaired the short and everything works great. I want to thank everyone for their suggestions.