Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped allen bolt!!!!

Old 08-22-2011, 10:05 AM
BAKERiSM
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stripped allen bolt!!!!

I just bought a used 07' Nightster and decided to change all the fluids. Oil was going great untill I tried getting off the primary chain inspection cover. The allen bolt was already stripped so I tried tinkering with it and couldn't get it and as a last resort decided to use a screw extractor. After getting the extracter in there with my spirits high... It breaks off inside. Now I'm not sure what to do... Does anyone have any insight into this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 08-22-2011, 10:39 AM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

On my 09, the inspection cover uses Torx bolts. That could have been your first issue, unless the previous owner put allen head bolts there instead.

Can you get the cover off or no?

Old 08-22-2011, 10:48 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BAKERiSM
I just bought a used 07' Nightster and decided to change all the fluids. Oil was going great untill I tried getting off the primary chain inspection cover. The allen bolt was already stripped so I tried tinkering with it and couldn't get it and as a last resort decided to use a screw extractor. After getting the extracter in there with my spirits high... It breaks off inside. Now I'm not sure what to do... Does anyone have any insight into this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
By 'breaks off inside' do you mean the head of the bolt twisted off, leaving only the shaft of the bolt, flush or below flush into the threads???

IF YOU CANNOT get the cover off:

If that is the case, and you've never done this before, take this to a professional who is VERY skilled at doing these jobs. Ideally, find a machine shop, not just any normal mechanic.

They are going to have to drill out the shaft of the bolt, VERY carefully, clean out the remaining threads, and chase the old threads out with a tap.

If they can't get the old threads out clean, they will have to bore out the hole one size bigger and then tap new threads, or insert at a Helicoil to the OEM thread size.

Either way, you want an expert at this kind of thing to do this job for you.

IF YOU CAN GET THE COVER OFF:

Get the cover off and find someone who is a skilled welder, have them weld on a new head to the exposed threads (carefully!!!!). Use the new head to remove the bolt. If this one snaps off also, revert to the steps above.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Aaron48
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a Dremel and cut a slot in the head so you can use a flathead screwdriver to take it out. If you have a flat head screwdriver that has a hex shaped shank that would be a plus, then you could use a small adjustable wrench to help turn it.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Booey424
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron48
Take a Dremel and cut a slot in the head so you can use a flathead screwdriver to take it out. If you have a flat head screwdriver that has a hex shaped shank that would be a plus, then you could use a small adjustable wrench to help turn it.
I also have used this method with good results.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:41 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I just striped the allen head off my Ness Big Sucker air filterr, used a dremel to cut the head off and was able to use pliers to back out the rest of the bolt.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:33 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No big deal. I had one of those bolts that was broken for over 10,000 miles. It never leaked. Next time I needed to take the primary cover off, then I could just easily get the broken portion of the screw off.

A way to keep this from being a problem in the future is to use anti-seize compound on those screws before installing

Last edited by SportyPig; 08-23-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:22 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There's a special place reserved in HELL for the guy that invented screw extractors. If it ever happens to you again just take a 1/4 drill bit and drill the head off the screw remove the cover and the remaining bolt will screw out with your fingers. Been there!

Old 08-23-2011, 05:46 PM
PeteRock
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jag1886
There's a special place reserved in HELL for the guy that invented screw extractors.
+1

If the head is still on. I've had luck with these
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...4&blockType=G4
If the head broke off then your probably going to have to drill and tap. So you might as well take primary cover off to prevnt getting drilling debri inside your case anyway. Once the cover is off you might be able to screw out from inside with nice set of vise grips. If you broke off extractor chances are your going to have to drill.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:34 PM
BAKERiSM
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys rock! Thanks for getting my back to me! I'm new to this so I never knew anyone wrote me back untill now ha... But after breaking off 2 screw extractors inside the bolt I dremeled out a giant slot for a flat head screw driver and finally got it out like Aaron said... I definitely jacked up the the inspection cover but thats a 20 dollar fix! Now the bike is running great. Thanks again everyone for all the tips!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stripped allen bolt!!!!