Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Step by step for Slip On Muffler Install?

Old 09-23-2011, 10:43 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Step by step for Slip On Muffler Install?

I bought the bike to ride and am no mechanic, although I'm relatively handy. But this weekend is supposed to be rainy all weekend, so I am thinking about installing some Screamin' Eagle Street Performance slip-ons. (Please don't tell me that I should go with something else. I want to stay street legal and just improve the sound quality some.) I have searched this forum multiple times for information on the procedures for installation and the advice varies widely so I thought I would take a stab at asking all my questions in one place. So here goes:
1. Should I not try this at all and simply pay the dealer to install? (I'm not sure what it costs, and it's not about the money, but paying someone to install something called a "slip on" and which people say is an easy 1/2 hour or hour long job seems feeble.)
The Service Manual seems to provide instructions for changing the entire exhaust system, including the pipes, not just the mufflers. The instructions with the Slip Ons just say "Remove mufflers using appropriate Service Manual Instructions." Not much guidance. so:
2. Should the heat shields be removed entirely? Some posters suggest that they only need to be loosened.
3. Some posters say remove the exhaust pipes from the cylinder heads, some say just to loosen them, some don't mention doing anything at the cylinder heads. What should I do?
4. I've seen alot of posts suggesting that I spray WD-40 (the second most useful substance known to man after duct tape) on the old bolts and the connection between the stock muffler and the exhaust pipe. If I do that, are there any other problems I should anticipate in removing 3+ year old mufflers?
5. Once the old ones are off, is there any trick to putting the new ones on? Some say to spray the the exhaust pipe with WD-40 before installing the new pipes. Is that a good idea?
6. HD says to get new muffler clamps, but many, if not most posters say they reuse the old ones. What should I do?
7. Anything else I should know that I'm not smart enough to ask?

Old 09-23-2011, 11:04 AM
mbranscum
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed some Rush slip ons on my 2009 Sportster. I'm like you. Not a mechanic but I can figure some things out. I just did a google search and sound a couple of good You Tube videos. I do not have time to do a search right now and link them. They are not hard to find. Good luck.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:13 PM
doobs48
Tourer

Same situation for me. No mechanic but fairly handy with a wrench. I just installed some V&H slip-ons a couple weeks ago. It was really easy. I did need WD40 to remove the stock mufflers from the header pipes. V&H actually has some simple to follow instructions on their website, which I think would work for any set of SO's.

V&H instructions click here

I'll answer your numbered questions here, based off my experience:

1) No
2) Not necessary, but I did it anyway
3) I just loosened per the V&H instructions, but I'm not really sure why they have you do this. Maybe to prevent damage or bends while pulling the current mufflers off and slipping the new ones on?
4) I only needed the WD40 to remove the mufflers from header pipes. You may need more.
5) I found there was still enough WD40 left over on the header pipes to easily slip the new mufflers on.
6) I reused them
7) Be careful with the cross-over gasket! I sort of effed one of mine up, but it still made a good enough seal.

Last edited by doobs48; 09-23-2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Added more info to #3
Old 09-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

My

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
1. Should I not try this at all and simply pay the dealer to install? Pipe swap is VERY easy & don't to be monster mechanic at all.
2. Should the heat shields be removed entirely? Some posters suggest that they only need to be loosened. Just to make room for new pipes, only need to loosen heat shields so there's enough room to remove old/install new pipes.
3. Some posters say remove the exhaust pipes from the cylinder heads, some say just to loosen them, some don't mention doing anything at the cylinder heads. What should I do? Leave header(s)/cyl flange(s) alone - no need to loosen.
4. I've seen alot of posts suggesting that I spray WD-40 (the second most useful substance known to man after duct tape) on the old bolts and the connection between the stock muffler and the exhaust pipe. If I do that, are there any other problems I should anticipate in removing 3+ year old mufflers? Blood, sweat, WD-40 & a few 4-letter words will do the trick. Another recommendation, if they're not breaking loose, is to get a wood dowel (~4' long & just smaller than inner baffle diameter) so you can "wiggle" the pipe joint free & work them off.
5. Once the old ones are off, is there any trick to putting the new ones on? Some say to spray the the exhaust pipe with WD-40 before installing the new pipes. Is that a good idea? DON't spray new pipe w/WD-40...need to get some High-Temp Silicone (i.e. liquid copper) from auto store & put bead along inner edge of new pipes. Clean header pipe well & slip pipe on until it's past the crimp notch.
6. HD says to get new muffler clamps, but many, if not most posters say they reuse the old ones. What should I do? Save yourself some trouble & headache - go to HD & get new clamps...they're only ~$5 and are "crush" type so I always go w/new pipe clamps to ensure good/tight seal at header/pipe joint. Otherwise you could get the irritating air leak which, in turn, causes nice "popping" while riding.
7. Anything else I should know that I'm not smart enough to ask? Make sure you have decent torque wrench for geting new pipe bolts to spec. Once installed - ride for ~50 miles, let bike cool & re-torque. From there - sit back & enjoy the new look/sound.
Good luck & post some pics when you get the pipes on...

Old 09-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 888 Likes on 533 Posts

All you gotta do is tug and twist the old ones off. Be careful when doing the rear cylinder one, from what I can recall the front pipe had a bit more support than the rear does, so be careful not to pull anything too far out of alignment.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:30 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 168 Posts

I do ALL of my own work on my bikes/cars as well as other people's vehicles.

Slip-ons are about as simple as it gets.

Step 1: Remove the mounting bolts for both mufflers.

Step 2: Remove the torca clamp for both mufflers (you just loosen it, you can't get it off unless the muffler is off.)

Then remove the pipes. They may be rusted/stuck on there a little. Twist and pull at the same time. If you really want to, spray some WD-40 or PB Blaster in there and continue. Make sure to wipe off the lubricant before you start the bike or it will smoke. And don't be afraid to pull a little, it may take more force than you expect.

Reverse the process to install. I can do it in about 5 minutes, so I bet you can for sure do it in 30 minutes or better.

Also, to answer more questions:
You do not need to buy new clamps. The old ones should be good for 5+ cycles.
No need to remove or mess with the heat shields at all for slip-ons, that only applies to the full system removal.
Don't mess with the flange bolts (on the head), they are unnecessary for slip-ons.

That's about all there is to it. Like I said, it doesn't get much easier. And if you do mess up (which you won't), don't worry about it. It can be fixed.

Last edited by Scuba10jdl; 09-23-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:06 PM
Scott2.0
Advanced

I'm an idiot in the garage and was able to put on my Cycle Shack slip-ons in about 2 beers. I did loosen the heat shields and sprayed some PB Blaster to get the old muffs off. It was a piece of cake. Don't pay the stealer to do something that you can easily do.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:50 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Thanks everyone! Happily, the weathermen had it wrong. They are now saying today is going to be mostly sunny (instead of 70% rain, like they were saying yesterday morning) so I'm putting off the install for a week and going for a long ride on Skyline Drive instead. But you have told me what I wanted to know and I'm doing the install on the next rainy weekend day.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:04 AM
bg1
Cruiser

It is amazing - last night they called for rain all weekend and this morning they are saying sunny all weekend! I'm not complaining!
Saturday morning bike wash and a weekend full of riding.....life is good.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:36 AM
Smokengun
Tourer

Was about to chime in when I saw you were going to go ahead and DIY. But my 2 cents. I usually pay to have things done as well. But I did mine under an hour. Did not loosen any heat shields. Did not use WD40 (but after wrestling with it, I understand I should have LOL!!). I just loosened the clamp and the mounting bolts. Removed the old and put on the new. I did use a rubber mallet to "tap" the new ones snuggly into the pipe though. Again my 2 cents coming from a not DIY guy, and a noob Harley owner at that. he he.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Step by step for Slip On Muffler Install?