Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Light On (well sometimes)

Old 09-20-2011, 05:36 PM
frogwash
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Light On (well sometimes)

'99 road King... Stock engine, stock electronics (except power Commander), Stock EFI, True Duals Exhaust... nothing fancy. Turn the ignition on... wait for fuel pump to stop, engine (fuel pump light) light goes out, start engine. Start riding and a couple minutes later the light comes back on. then goes off. then back on... when it turns on it stays on for quite a while. Sound like a fuel pump issue to you? Bike doesn't miss a beat when I'm riding. Am I riding on borrowed time with the pump?

thanks

Old 09-20-2011, 06:28 PM
dh2683
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried to pull a error code off the bike?Directions to check for error codes can be found in your bikes service manual.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:56 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

What you are experiencing is a historic code that is reappearing. As has already been stated, check the manual to see how to retrieve the code and see what it is. I am not sure how to get the code from your year and model. Someone else may be able to chime in.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:33 AM
swamper
3rd Gear

I have a 2006 Ultra Classic had same problem with engine light coming on. Got instructions for getting diagnostic codes off this forum an found problem an fixed it. It ain't hard to do. My problem was spark plug wires. Good Luck.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Fat Mike
Cruiser

I have a 2010 Electra Glide Classic... My Check engine light came on one day, so I pulled over and shut it down. Restarted it and it was off. Road a few miles and it would re-appear! A few days later, I was riding with some friends and they noticed my brake light was on. I had the brake light switch (rear) replaced, and it never came on again. Oh yeah, my cruise control stopped working because of that too. All is good now. It sounds like my ECM would recycle and it would reset and the light would come back on. As far as an error code, never looked for it. Just fixed the switch so I had a brake light to keep the fuzz off my butt...

Old 09-26-2011, 08:14 PM
RoadRunner13
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same problem with my 2006 Ultra. Both sparkplugs were replaced and that solved the problem. Good Luck.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:01 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 783 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by frogwash
'99 road King... Stock engine, stock electronics (except power Commander), Stock EFI, True Duals Exhaust... nothing fancy. Turn the ignition on... wait for fuel pump to stop, engine (fuel pump light) light goes out, start engine. Start riding and a couple minutes later the light comes back on. then goes off. then back on... when it turns on it stays on for quite a while. Sound like a fuel pump issue to you? Bike doesn't miss a beat when I'm riding. Am I riding on borrowed time with the pump?

thanks
99 road king.. M & M fuel injection, light off and on would likely be historical code(old code) as mentioned before..use service book to retrieve code(no special tools)..disconnect both battery cables to clear code and then monitor for return of light...any bad start could cause code...i believe the code is read on yours by powering bike up 3 times (fuel pump primes) but not starting and then on fourth time you get rapid flashing then very slow flash(count) then when all done it will rapid flash after each code...does not sound like fuel pump issue..i believe your power commander requires a 100% compliant crank sensor ? if it is just a bit off(bad start) you will get a code...if bike runs great, then just read code..could just be a loose wire, bad contact or bad start.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:51 PM
JONNIEROCK
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadRunner13
I had the same problem with my 2006 Ultra. Both sparkplugs were replaced and that solved the problem. Good Luck.

Same here, changed plugs. Good to go.
Jonnierock

Old 10-05-2011, 08:01 PM
kbatrph
6th Gear

i have a 2011 Heritage Classic. i've installed a Flash2Pass garage door opener and now every time i turn on my high beams, my engine light comes on. Any ideas anybody??? thanks