General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repair of holes/tears in harley seat with vinyl covers

Old 10-14-2011, 09:23 AM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Repair of holes/tears in harley seat with vinyl covers

Yeah folks have recommended that I just get another seat, but I love my Sundowner. Only problem is if you ride high mileage through all type of weather and leave the bike out in the sun all day, the vinyl wears out. I've got a big tear and some smaller holes.
My question is, what techniques have folks used to fix their vinyl issues?
I've seen the kits and read the reviews of the kits, most of them unfavorable towards the kits that come with the heating element.
Don't want to use duct or electrical tape because that peals off and leaves sticky ****.
My bike is showing the wear. It get's ridden daily and does not sit in the garage being babied. I'm not really concerned about how it looks as long as it runs well, but the seat is really starting to look bad.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:37 AM
BillM
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buddy took his to an upholstery shop. Scott's was the leather Sundowner. Phillip at the shop got a piece of NOS HD leather for seats and replaced the bad panel. Looks good as new. Cost less than a C note to get it done. Check with your local skin shop and see.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:45 AM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by BillM
Buddy took his to an upholstery shop. Scott's was the leather Sundowner. Phillip at the shop got a piece of NOS HD leather for seats and replaced the bad panel. Looks good as new. Cost less than a C note to get it done. Check with your local skin shop and see.
Mine is that vinyl/naugahyde crap, probably cost more that the seat originally cost to redo in leather?

Old 10-14-2011, 09:48 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Got mine recovered locally for 70 bucks!

Old 10-14-2011, 01:05 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just get it recovered. Find you a Tandy leather store, select what you want it covered in, and find someone to do it. SHouldn't be too much, and you'd have a custom seat.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If you really want to try and do repairs then first you need a really good vinyl glue. Not all glues will bond vinyl. There is one at most auto parts stores that will. Blue tube if I remember correctly. Get some scrap vinyl from a local upholstery shop. Try and glue two pieces together with your glue. Top side to bottom side is what you want. If it works then cut a small piece of vinyl a little larger than your hole. Work the piece under and glue it together. Usually yellow masking tape will hold the weld together until it's dry.

Next take a small amount of baking soda, Arm and Hammer brand works, and mix it with the glue to make a soft paste about the consistency of toothpaste. Use it to fill the seams. Let it dry well. Use a small piece of very fine sandpaper to smooth it out. Then use the glue to cover the repair. Paint it black with some vinyl spray paint from HDepot or Lowes. Enjoy the cheap repair.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:53 PM
WEINERDOGBONE
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I bought a repair kit at Autozone. It was nothing special but, the repair I made has lasted for over a year. It was just some type of vinyl glue.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:41 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BillM
+1 I just had a leather seat in my truck done for $125