Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary Removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:51 PM
bearman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary Removal

Well now that that time of the year is about here, I've got a few things I'm plannning on doing. The biggest project is to remove the entire primary cover to gain access to the shifter spline/linkage. For some reason I cant tighten up the linkage enough to remove the wobble. I watched the video on you tube with some dude wearing shorts and socks that made it look pretty easy. My question is aimed to the ones that have actually removed the entire primary. Is this project straight forward? Any tips, do's and don'ts would be appreciated. I do have a manual so I'm sure I'll be referencing for assistance.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:37 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not bad. Go by the book and you will be fine. It is a 3 beer job though. I have had good luck fixing those by replacing the bolt with new and using a good swivel and torque the crap out of it. All with the primary in place. If you do pull it don't forget the starter bolts.

Attached Thumbnails Primary Removal-picture-008.jpg  
Old 10-19-2011, 07:32 AM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had my primary apart a few times. It's really not that bad of a job, just follow along with the manual.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:32 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,111 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Cover itself ain't bad...the starter will be your hardest part....putting the starter bolts back in. Get yourself a good long thin allen driver for that one.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:04 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,491 Posts

There are two areas to pay particular attention to when you R/R the inner primary.

When installing the inner primary, it is real easy to nick the inner primary race oil seal on the trans main shaft when installing the inner primary. Suggest that you use duct tape or some other material to cover the trans shaft splines and protect the seal.

You didnt' say which model year and the later model years have the flanged bolts with the rubber seal under the flange to prevent outer primary lubricant from leaking through the bolt holes and leaking out between the inner primary and the motor case. Earlier models did not have these self sealing bolts and relied on RTV sealant behind the bolt and lock to seal against the chain case lubricant from seeping through and leaking. Some guys apply the RTV sealant between the inner primary and the motor case which is a bad idea and the MoCo has a tech bulletin advising against that approach. If you have an earlier model, application of some black RTV sealant between the lock and the primary and between the lock and bolt head will seal the inner primary. I use Hylomar sealant for this because it never takes a set. The three bolts behind the clutch are the worst offenders. If you have a later model, toss the old bolts and replace with new.

Both topics are covered in the manual but, IMHO, deserve special attention. It is very disheartening to R/R the complete primary, finish the task at hand and see that small spot of oil on the floor after the first 100 miles.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:12 PM
bearman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bike is an 05 Wideglide so I would assume that the flange bolts have the rubber seal. Thanks for all the advice!