Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery not holding its charge

Old 10-17-2011, 12:07 PM
rhinoWErX
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Battery not holding its charge

The bike is an 08 FatBob.

I'd noted of late that battery (at least I thought) was crapping out as the bike was having trouble starting after just a week on not riding it - I pretty much ride it every weekend so never kept it on the charger.

So I picked up an new battery and all was good as expected. I rode the bike Thursday, Friday and again on Saturday. Pulled in to get a bite to eat, came back out and the battery didn't have enough charge to start the bike up.

Obviously something else going on here then.

Can anybody give me some tips on what to troubleshoot? Could it be the stator?

Thanks,
-Jack

Old 10-17-2011, 02:05 PM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Yepper, could be a charging problem. Start the bike and put a test meter on the battery terminals. Less than 14 volts, could be the stator.
I just went thru the same problem with my '07. New battery first, then new stator.

Thought it was the battery at first but after replacing the original battery, trouble never went away.

Check your trouble codes first.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:23 PM
showlowzook
Advanced

I would also look at your charging system connections, regulator plugs, stator plugs, battery terminals. If they are dirty or wet can cause issues. Also check your wires to the plugs to make sure they haven't broken. Had the main ground off the battery crack complety through at the crimp, caused charging issues & irratic engine running. The cable had shrink tube over the cable so I didn't find it till I pulled on the terminal end. So pull on the wires to see if they haven't been severed. Just my experience.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Dynaglide68
Road Master
Default Auto Zone For Free

Just go to an Auto Zone type store , ride the bike there with tools ready to take off your battery cover , they will put it on their machine to check your charging system, NO GUESSES and it's all for FREE !!!!!!!! , Or any other kind of service center for cars but maybe not for free ( Call Them )

Old 10-17-2011, 03:19 PM
PHA-Q
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by madhatterxlch
I would also look at your charging system connections, regulator plugs, stator plugs, battery terminals. If they are dirty or wet can cause issues. Also check your wires to the plugs to make sure they haven't broken. Had the main ground off the battery crack complety through at the crimp, caused
charging issues & irratic engine
running. The cable had shrink
tube over the cable so I didn't
find it till I pulled on the terminal
end. So pull on the wires to see
if they haven't been severed.
Just my experience.
+1 same exact thing happend on mine....... Check your terminals...

Old 10-17-2011, 07:27 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,280 Likes on 2,348 Posts

To keep costs down it seems the MOCO uses exact lengths of cable on major connections. This will put undo stress on the crimped connectors at the grounds and battery connections. Check your connections at your battery for corrosion and security.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:47 PM
92DynaMan
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery charge on my '92 FXDC

Don't know about the newer bikes but I have had a lot of problems with the rectifier connection. It connects at the engine with a rubber cap. The rubber seal at the engine gets "dissolved" from the oil and then the rectifier cap won't go on all the way. Then, it can get so bad the the pins in the engine seal actually can be pushed in so there's no connection. Make sure the pins (on both parts are seated). It's a bitch because you can't really see it. I cut a lot of the rubber away so I could tell.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:24 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by madhatterxlch
I would also look at your charging system connections, regulator plugs, stator plugs, battery terminals. If they are dirty or wet can cause issues. Also check your wires to the plugs to make sure they haven't broken. Had the main ground off the battery crack complety through at the crimp, caused charging issues & irratic engine running. The cable had shrink tube over the cable so I didn't find it till I pulled on the terminal end. So pull on the wires to see if they haven't been severed. Just my experience.
This is what I found when I was cleaning the connectors on the regulator, battery side of my 08 FXDF...

Name:  DSCN4596.jpg
Views: 3930
Size:  46.4 KB

Old 10-24-2011, 07:49 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,280 Likes on 2,348 Posts

08FXD...Those connectors look all too familar. Those look machined crimped but the metal couldn't handle the pressure. We are seeing the same crappy quality connectors where I work. Seems the vendors are cutting back on the quality at their end and some manufacters aren't catching it.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:08 PM
rhinoWErX
Tourer

Well, I had it checked out and it's definitely not the battery. I have the Dakota Digital gauge on my bike that has a built in V meter. The voltage drops within a short period of time, then the error light comes on and it's steady downhill from there.

I'll check additional connectors as mentioned, but if I don't find anything obvious I'll take it to my Indy shop.

Thanks for the help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery not holding its charge