Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to tie down when trailering??

Old 10-29-2011, 08:46 AM
MX Mark
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to tie down when trailering??

In Jan we are trailering 6 bikes to Phoenix, we are going to bolt wheel chocks to the floor and use tie down straps. The fellow who owns the trailer sayes its best to not pull down on the shocks let the bike float on its springs, but Ive always pulled down the whole bike so theres no movment. Anyone have thoughts? Its going to be a 34 hour drive. Thanks

Old 10-29-2011, 09:12 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by MX Mark
The fellow who owns the trailer sayes its best to not pull down on the shocks let the bike float on its springs,
I dont agree with that.

Chocks will help alot.
When I trailered my Road Glide,I placed extension straps around the crashbar and down tube then connected rachet straps out and forward to pull the bike into the chock.Also had a couple straps at the rear to prevent the bike rearend from sliding.

If you do a search here,theres many threads about trailering.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bikes that can bounce will put slack in the straps. That *can* lead to a loose bike in the trailer. You don't want to see the damage that can do!

Two pair of straps on the front, one pair on the rear for each bike. Each strap to it's own tie down point (two straps on one point are useless if the tie down point fails). If you can't stand to compress the suspension, put some support under the frames & tie 'em down *tight*.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Guitar4Him
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this is going to get some disagreement, but I use ratchet straps on the handlebars, connected to hog ties (soft ties) and pull the front forks down about half-way. The front wheel is in a Pingle chock. Then, I use straps on the saddlebag bars to secure the rear. I've trailered bikes this way for 15 years with no problems. It is a bad idea to crank the front forks down much more than half-way as this can damage the fork seals.

A while back, I inquired at the dealership about how they recommend securing the bike. They said that every bike that comes in or that they ship is secured in this manner.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:32 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MX Mark
In Jan we are trailering 6 bikes to Phoenix, we are going to bolt wheel chocks to the floor and use tie down straps. The fellow who owns the trailer sayes its best to not pull down on the shocks let the bike float on its springs, but Ive always pulled down the whole bike so theres no movment. Anyone have thoughts? Its going to be a 34 hour drive. Thanks
I have 2 Kuryakyn tie down brackets bolted to the front forks and I compress the front end about 1/2 way. For the rear, 1 strap on each side hooked to the rear crash bars to prevent lateral bouncing and that's it.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:00 AM
62hdbiker
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Check out Condor wheel chocks. You roll the front wheel into chock and only tie down rear of bike, pulling down and foward on the rear floor boards, or foot pegs,or the top of the swing arm on softails. I have trailered this way over 5000 miles and the bikes don't budge. Check their website.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Dep
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Guitar, I've been to florida (from ohio ) and back several times with the bikes secured this way with no problems. the only thing different is I add an extra set of tie downs somewhere on the front just in case 1 strap may come lose... Ive also seen dealers put the bike on a trailer with the kickstand down and strap it that way....I dont agree with that at all...

Old 10-29-2011, 11:29 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitar4Him
I know this is going to get some disagreement, but I use ratchet straps on the handlebars, connected to hog ties (soft ties) and pull the front forks down about half-way. The front wheel is in a Pingle chock. Then, I use straps on the saddlebag bars to secure the rear. I've trailered bikes this way for 15 years with no problems. It is a bad idea to crank the front forks down much more than half-way as this can damage the fork seals.

A while back, I inquired at the dealership about how they recommend securing the bike. They said that every bike that comes in or that they ship is secured in this manner.

No disagreement here, I use ratchet straps and do almost exactly the same, with one exception: I made some blocks from some short 2x6's (2x4's will also work) that I place beneath the lower frame tubes as forward beneath the bike as possible. These allow me to pull the frame down to where the bike can't move up and down at all. Then strap the rear of the bike and it will never move.
This works great and takes less strap tension.
Also note: pulling the forks down cannot blow a fork seal no matter what anybody tells you. If that was true you'd blow the seals every time you hit a large bump.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:54 AM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitar4Him

...that IS the correct way to do it...doesn't mean it can't be done other ways, but that is pretty much the standard way...you should NOT try to compress the front-end by ratcheting it till it almost bottoms out...this can blow the leg-seals easily...half-way down is fine in a chalk-block..use the rabbit-fur soft-ties around the handlebars, and maybe one tie-down for the back just in case, it can be hooked around a rear passenger foot mount, but if you chalk the front and tie it down correctly, you don't really need the back one, it's just extra peace of mind...

Old 10-29-2011, 01:23 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have tie-down points on my frame that I bought from a vendor, just as others have posted, I ratchet the front about 1/2 down then secure the rear, I have straps with the fuzzy stuff to protect the finish on the bike, not to mention the straps I use are probably 2x stronger than they need to be, better too strong than too weak.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best way to tie down when trailering??