Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Alto Carbonite

Old 08-29-2011, 06:00 PM
Mouse in my cup
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alto Carbonite

Does anyone have any information on this set of clutches? I have never installed a clutch before and will hopefully be undertaking this project this weekend along with a 50A 3 phase cycle electric charge kit. I haven't been able to find much info on this clutch set and was just curious how good it was. I only have a couple bolt ons on a 99 Ultra. Please let me know if you have any experience with alto especially the carbonite set up.
Thanks in advance,
George

Old 11-03-2011, 02:08 PM
DWKen
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I wish someone had answered. It's clutch time for me on my 2010 Limited. Looking for something a little more durable that the HD stock clutch. (I do rodeo cone riding)

On my old motorcycle (2002 Ultra) I used a Rivera clutch pack. It was great. However, I'm thinking about not going to that expense on the new bike. They're $500.

So I'm just about to pull the trigger on the Alto Carbonite. They say "Lifetime Guarantee" (but don't explain the limits of their warranty).

Old 11-04-2011, 07:23 AM
Mouse in my cup
Intermediate
Default Alto Clutch

DWKen,
I haven't had much time to get alot of riding in on my ultra since I installed this clutch, but will share what I have found. When I replaced it I also changed the clutch spring, It was a normal tension spring. I just wanted to make sure that the old one didn't fatigue over time so I replaced it, I also installed a hydraulic primary chain tensioner. The clutch comes with one extra disc and has 3M friction pads (they make some good stuff) There is also a special coating on the steels. The clutch defiantly seems better over stock and with the hydraulic tensioner there is a considerable amount less lash in the drive line.It was easy and straight forward to install, I would recommend a heavier spring tho if you do rodeo cone riding. Plus as you mentioned there is a life time warranty, I hope I never have to use it but it's nice to know its there. I don't know what you put in your primary, I use amsoil 20w50 and a few ounces of steel shield. The steel shield is made by a company not far from me in Bethel Park, Pa. I have used this stuff in every vehicle I own, because it works. I also use it on my guns, which is how I came to know of it. I hope I helped in some way shape or form.
Cheers,
George

Old 11-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 600 Likes on 323 Posts

You mentioned a hydraulic primary chain tensioner what brand or a link please.. Thanks..

Old 11-04-2011, 11:18 AM
Mouse in my cup
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
You mentioned a hydraulic primary chain tensioner what brand or a link please.. Thanks..
http://sohotbikes.com/hb125.html Here you are good sir. It is made by Southern Oregon Hot Bikes.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 600 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Mouse in my cup
http://sohotbikes.com/hb125.html Here you are good sir. It is made by Southern Oregon Hot Bikes.
I have had one of those sitting on my work bench for almost a year..I bought one to install and then read that they had nothing but trouble with those..Was hoping you had found another manufacturer ..Thank you for getting back with me.