Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Illumination Textile Pants

Old 11-25-2011, 08:00 AM
Krow
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Illumination Textile Pants

Illumination Textile Pants with Switchback Technology

I've searched this and other forums for information on these pants but can't find any information except places advertising them for sale.

What is "Switchback Technology?" Does that just mean the panels zip off to leave mesh? Sounds great for hot weather. The HD site says they're designed to be worn over jeans/pants. With them stripped down to the mesh, how comfortable/uncomfortable are they in hot weather?

they have a "Zip-out, waterproof pants liner". If you have a waterproof jacket, will these suffice for rain gear? Or are they not that waterproof? Is the liner insulated? With the liner installed are they warm enough for cold weather riding? If so, I'd assume they'd be way too hot to wear with the waterproof lining in summer.

It looks like HD is saying these pants are good for all weather riding. Could somebody who has these give some sort of review on them?

Old 12-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Krow
Tourer

No replies in almost 2 weeks. It seems HD isn't making a fortune on their Switchback pants! I guess I probably should look elsewhere for something to keep me comfortable and dry in cold weather.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:16 AM
LADNAR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never heard of them before, but from your description/questions, they sound pretty interesting.

When I read the title of this thread, I thought you were talking about light up pants or something, and that sounds like a gold wing riders dream!

Old 12-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 568 Likes on 214 Posts

I like to wear my jeans and chaps but on days like today where it's below freezing when I go to work, I have a pair of Tourmaster textile pants (pretty much the same as HD) that I wear.

Sounds like the 'switchback technology' is what you already mentioned... Removable panels. My Tourmaster pants have the same thing and they are a nice benefit.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:25 AM
assaultthesalt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know about the Switchback pants...but...I've had a pair of First Gear riding pants for about 8 years now and could'nt be happier.They are'nt mesh but have the removeable quilted liner and are waterproof.There are lots of good riding pants out there, just search around.You can even and even go to some BMW shops and look at their apparel.Good quality stuff....it just don't say " Harley " LOL

Old 12-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Clayvis
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Switchback pants? Sounds like something they might wear on Brokeback Mountain....

Old 12-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Agree on the Tourmaster. I have the Venture which have a removable quilted liner which I have not needed yet even at 35 degrees. No removable panels but I do have chaps for the mid temperatures and riding to work at times. Joe Rocket had pants and jackets with that features

Last edited by Chunker; 12-07-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Krow
Tourer

Are the Tourmaster and First Gear overpants waterproof without the liner? If so, can they replace rain pants?

Old 12-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Krow
Are the Tourmaster and First Gear overpants waterproof without the liner? If so, can they replace rain pants?
According to the Tourmaster site, the Venture pants have •
"Rainguard® waterproof/breathable barrier."

That's their statement. I have had them on in light rain/shower and didn't get wet inside, but not a downpour yet.

The liner is thermal protection, but as yet have not needed it.

I carry a Tourmaster rain-suit also

Old 12-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Krow
Tourer

Originally Posted by Chunker

I carry a Tourmaster rain-suit also
Do you mean you wear the rain suit over or instead of the TM pants?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Illumination Textile Pants