Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those of you with foot clutch and jockey/tank shift come in please...

Old 11-29-2011, 11:14 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Those of you with foot clutch and jockey/tank shift come in please...

A few questions before I take the plunge...

I know I'm in the softail section, I'm not lost, just more fools running this setup here than over in dynaland

How do you handle "roll ups"? For example, you come to a stop sign, actually stop, and now have to roll up to check the intersection is clear. Is it easier than I'm thinking to feather the clutch with your foot?

Also, it seems like it'd be easier to find neutral...yes or no? Sometimes my foot isn't delicate enough to tap my shifter up into neutral, I feel like with my hand I'd be able to slip it in easier (giggity)

Also, do any of you have upgraded clutch springs? Barnett or the like? Does this make the whole job a little more difficult or no problem since your big fat foot is keeping the clutch held down?

Thanks

Old 11-29-2011, 11:21 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

You get used to it pretty quickly. If I have to roll up to a stop sign like that, I keep the bike rolling at a really slow speed until I am in front and then I touch my foot down if necessary, and start going again. You are over thinking the whole thing. If I can ride with a foot clutch so can you.

It takes a bit more focus at first but after a little bit it is second nature. As far as an upgraded clutch spring, why would you need that?

Drew

Old 11-29-2011, 11:34 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
You get used to it pretty quickly. If I have to roll up to a stop sign like that, I keep the bike rolling at a really slow speed until I am in front and then I touch my foot down if necessary, and start going again. You are over thinking the whole thing. If I can ride with a foot clutch so can you.

It takes a bit more focus at first but after a little bit it is second nature. As far as an upgraded clutch spring, why would you need that?

Drew
I know I'm probably over thinking it lol. I picked up driving a manual in no time, and a bike was second nature from the get. I don't see this set up being much different.

As far as "needing" the upgraded spring, I don't. But I'll have the primary apart this winter to install my 30t sprocket and I'm a do it all at once kinda guy.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:38 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm running a 95" kit with the stock spring without issue, but if you want to do it, do it.

Drew

Old 11-30-2011, 09:57 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

pics please!!

Old 11-30-2011, 10:08 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by joebotics
pics please!!
From who? Me or the doc?

This hasn't happened yet on my bike, but the setup on drew's bike is art man, it's really slick.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:22 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by toastman
From who? Me or the doc?

This hasn't happened yet on my bike, but the setup on drew's bike is art man, it's really slick.
ohh.. I meant from anybody who has a foot clutch / hand shifter combo...

thanks...

Old 11-30-2011, 10:34 AM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Big tip for you, if you go for the Labriola, and its a great kit really well put together,
Make sure you read his website instructions before ordering, I didnt (my own fault) and got the wrong shifter, I'm waiting for the replacement at the moment,
I'd say I cant wait, but I'd be lying, I wont exactly say ''it has me scared shitless'' but I am a little nervous bout it, LOL.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:41 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by thelawnmowerman
Big tip for you, if you go for the Labriola, and its a great kit really well put together,
Make sure you read his website instructions before ordering, I didnt (my own fault) and got the wrong shifter, I'm waiting for the replacement at the moment,
I'd say I cant wait, but I'd be lying, I wont exactly say ''it has me scared shitless'' but I am a little nervous bout it, LOL.
Haha I'm gonna order a labriola kit.

I'm gonna order thru drew and dr v twin though as my local Indy shut it's doors and I'm happy to support someone who does such big things for our community here.

I plan on first placing a call to labriola so I can be led through exactly what to order. Their site isnt too user friendly

Old 11-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Branner
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by toastman
A few questions before I take the plunge...

I know I'm in the softail section, I'm not lost, just more fools running this setup here than over in dynaland

How do you handle "roll ups"? For example, you come to a stop sign, actually stop, and now have to roll up to check the intersection is clear. Is it easier than I'm thinking to feather the clutch with your foot?
**I keep it in neutral and simply walk forward until I have a clear view.

Also, it seems like it'd be easier to find neutral...yes or no? Sometimes my foot isn't delicate enough to tap my shifter up into neutral, I feel like with my hand I'd be able to slip it in easier (giggity)
**Yes, neutral is way easier to find with a hand shift.

Also, do any of you have upgraded clutch springs? Barnett or the like? Does this make the whole job a little more difficult or no problem since your big fat foot is keeping the clutch held down?
**I went from stock primary and clutch to open primary with BDL clutch. I noticed no difference.

Thanks
Also, you mentioned in a later post you may be over thinking it. Don't worry, I did the same. I think everyone who's gone to this setup has. It's normal. It's easier to learn than you think, and a heck of a lot of fun. Enjoy it!

I'll add one more thing, don't waste time thinking about those auto clutches. They are a total waste of money.

Last edited by Branner; 11-30-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Those of you with foot clutch and jockey/tank shift come in please...