EVO All Evo Model Discussion

aftermarket FXR frame as good or better than oem frame?

Old 12-04-2011, 11:24 AM
El Chiguete
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default aftermarket FXR frame as good or better than oem frame?

Seeing a friends FXR frame I was wondering if a Kenny Boyce or ChopperGuys or other not original FXR frame is as good or better than a oem factory FXR frame?

Old 12-04-2011, 12:24 PM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know much about Chopper Guys, but the Kenny Boyce "FXR" frame has little in common with a factory FXR frame. It is a pro street style with more rake. No "Y" in the tubing under the seat. And I believe he uses a tubular backbone rather than a boxed piece. I'm sure it's a very nice frame, but I still don't know why he refers to it as an FXR frame.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:34 PM
El Chiguete
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good point, he should just call it ¨rubber mounted frame¨. So ChopperGuys and Pahghco are the only ones with the ¨Y¨ under the seat?

But still, are they *** good, better or worst frame than a original?

Old 12-04-2011, 01:31 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,489 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by omgtkk
Don't know much about Chopper Guys, but the Kenny Boyce "FXR" frame has little in common with a factory FXR frame. It is a pro street style with more rake. No "Y" in the tubing under the seat. And I believe he uses a tubular backbone rather than a boxed piece. I'm sure it's a very nice frame, but I still don't know why he refers to it as an FXR frame.

Exactly...and the oil bag makes it look more like a softail.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:16 PM
bigtone
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Kenny Boyce frame that I built over 10 years ago. Although style is a matter of personal choice, the frame is very well constructed. To be honest, the 'V' in the rear of the frame is what most people complained about years ago when the FXR's first came out. I guess KB thought that he would sell more with the rear redesigned. At any rate,the only real issue with the frame was that shock angle is too steep. I moved the lower mounts and straightened them out a bit to help the shocks work and to keep from pulling the whole driveline back when the bike squats in the back. I also like the Ness Y2K frame that came out right after I built mine, but it was something like more than twice the price of the KB frame anyway.

Attached Thumbnails aftermarket FXR frame as good or better than oem frame?-custres.jpg  
Old 12-05-2011, 05:26 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

The triangular FXR frame reminds me of the Colin Seeley racing frames that were raced with great success over here in the UK, including the Isle of Man TT. They set new standards for handling as did the FXR in the Harley world. The old shovel frame and later Dyna frames don't give the same warm feeling of being a sound solid structure.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:31 PM
woodnbow
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What Graham said

Originally Posted by grbrown
The triangular FXR frame reminds me of the Colin Seeley racing frames that were raced with great success over here in the UK, including the Isle of Man TT. They set new standards for handling as did the FXR in the Harley world. The old shovel frame and later Dyna frames don't give the same warm feeling of being a sound solid structure.
the aftermarket frames are probably not as 'stiff' as the OEM frame. No way of knowing for certain but they don't have the castings that the stock one does, I've heard the Chopper Guys frame is really nice and lightweight with a Buell or Sportster engine/trans in place. Like 450# or so all up. Sounds like fun to me!

Old 12-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Bigfoot1
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ridin a Chopper Guys frame now. It's been cut on a bit, but has given me no problems in the last 6 years. Worth every penny.