Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

led oil dipstick

Old 12-17-2011, 11:06 AM
rootbeer bob
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default led oil dipstick

I just installed the Rinehart Xtremes duals with 3.5 mufflers on my 2011 E/G Ultra.. I went with the X-Tremes because i like the stock look of the rear pipe going under the bike..What i didnt know was ..after installing them..how close the pipe is to the oil dipstick. Making it almost IMPOSSABLE to ck the oil when the bike is warm.. So is was thinking of getting a LED dipstick that shows the oil temp as well as the level.. Just wondering if anyone is useing them on there bike and what they think of them..are they reliable.
I know nothing takes the place of cking it yourself...but just trying to find something the keeps me from having to stick my hand behind the hot pipe all the time.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:10 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,356 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I have one, so far so good. If you are a paranoid freak about oil temperatures like I am, it will make it worse. I've started to think its healthier not to monitor something thats not easy to change (already have an oil cooler).

Old 12-17-2011, 11:26 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,489 Posts

Have had two, both failed to register the level shortly after being installed; temps OK, level not so much. Dealer replaced the first as warranty but said no to the second. I would not wast the money.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:28 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Just check your oil cold in the morning. I can't see any reason under normal circumstances that you'd ever need to check the oil more than once per day so if you check it in the morning you're good. Just do a little experiment to find the correlation between hot and cold on your dipstick for reference. It's probably 1/4 inch or so.

Last edited by 2black1s; 12-17-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:36 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I have one and love it. When I first got it I checked the electronic oil level several times, both hot and cold, against the old level I got off the stock dipstick. It was always right on.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:21 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Seems this always has mixed reviews. I would LOVE to have one of these, if it works. But, I also don't wanna throw away money for junk.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:01 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,489 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyPig
Seems this always has mixed reviews. I would LOVE to have one of these, if it works. But, I also don't wanna throw away money for junk.
Do some research on this and other forums and I think you will find more negative than positive. If you don't have a temp gauge and don't mind the expense, they are very accurate on the temperature. If you are lucky and get one that accuartely registers the level, that's a bonus.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:08 PM
watercop
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one, the newer style. The early ones were a problem. No problems with the second one. I have fould it to be very accurate for both temp and level. I do remove it and put the stock cap on when washing and its a good ide not to lay it on its face and allow oil to lay on the back side.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:14 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

I had the old style on my evo, the new style ( with level) on the 09.

I have a Pal who kept breaking them by twisting or something, I've never had a problem.

the read outs I consider coarse indicators, I don't live and die by them, but they seem pretty accurate- i tested the temp vs my wife's high $ candy thermometer ( shhh) and they were right on to over 300 º.

the real warning to the 1st post is make sure the new custom awesome part doesn't stop you from simple tasks like checking oil...

there have been a few headers like that---equal header length is kind of important on a motor, so they had to add pipe somewhere ( to match the length of the front), but not so that it covers the oil and tranny fillers.

mike

Old 12-17-2011, 03:15 PM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

JES custom accents has some beautiful dipstick gauges. I really like the oil-filled one and have been trying to find an excuse to buy one...

http://www.jescustomaccents.com/cate...?categoryId=29

Last edited by ReidRik_Von; 12-17-2011 at 03:18 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: led oil dipstick