Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diamond cut heads

Old 12-24-2011, 04:45 PM
captainjack
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Diamond cut heads

If you were going to diamond cut you heads and cylinders and they are the stock black, do you think it would make that much difference to have them powdercoated black or is that just a waste of money

Old 12-24-2011, 05:23 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by captainjack
If you were going to diamond cut you heads and cylinders and they are the stock black, do you think it would make that much difference to have them powdercoated black or is that just a waste of money
Personally I think both is a waste of money, but if your heart is set on the diamond cut and your stuff is in good shape just get'r done.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:54 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Personally I think both is a waste of money, but if your heart is set on the diamond cut and your stuff is in good shape just get'r done.
I agree whole heartedly but its your bike, your money and you are the one riding it so it doesnt matter what I think. What color are you wanting to powdercoat? I guess Im not understanding the question.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:24 PM
captainjack
Road Master

Black powder coat, which I think will give it more gloss, but the effect may be negligible. I'm taking the heads off for the 107 build, and just thought I'd do it, but haven't really decided yet. Wish I could see in person

Old 12-26-2011, 04:04 AM
Allenz
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I sent my heads and cylinders to Diamond Heads in Henderson, NV. My heads and cylinders were the S&S black. They did a fantastic job and the diamond cut looks great. I did pay for the show diamond cut but the black portion looks much better also. I don't know what they did but the black was a dull black and now it is glossy. I highly recommend them.

Here is there web site. http://www.diamond-heads.com/home.html

By the way 3,500 miles on the diamond cut and it looks like the day I got it.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:14 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,177 Likes on 2,448 Posts

i know you're happy with your diamond cut heads, but i personally would't have anything done by that company.

there were quite a few companies doing this type of work and they come along and apply for a patent as a new 'cooling process' which is totally bogus and after receiving the patent, sent out a bunch of 'cease and desist' letters effectively shutting down a bunch of folks. even though the courts were shown many examples of this being done through the years, the courts sided with them and let their patent stand.

you can do what you want, but they'll not see a dime from me.

Originally Posted by Allenz

serious question, their website really stresses the 'cooling effect' and how much better it is etc. have you noticed that your bike runs cooler since having this done?

Last edited by skratch; 12-26-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:39 AM
131tman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
There were a few companies doing this type of work. DH holds 3 US patents, sent out a bunch of 'cease and desist' letters effectively shutting down copycats.
That's simply smart business!

Last edited by 131tman; 12-26-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:06 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,177 Likes on 2,448 Posts

Originally Posted by 131tman
That's simply smart business!
yeah, you can think that if you want, but they were the copycats, some of the other companies had been doing this long before they came along... also, their patent claims were bogus, but the courts didn't know any better and those fighting them simply did not have enough money to pursue it.

like i said, spend your money where you want. i won't be spending mine there.

Last edited by skratch; 12-26-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:28 PM
captainjack
Road Master

Originally Posted by Allenz
I sent my heads and cylinders to Diamond Heads in Henderson, NV. My heads and cylinders were the S&S black. They did a fantastic job and the diamond cut looks great. I did pay for the show diamond cut but the black portion looks much better also. I don't know what they did but the black was a dull black and now it is glossy. I highly recommend them.

Here is there web site. http://www.diamond-heads.com/home.html

Thanks that was what I wanted to know, good someone who has had it done chimed in. Cooling claims are only about 12% cooler which I think they had to prove to get the Patent, which may help in conjunction with other cooling efforts, every little bit helps and if you like the look you get a small bonus I am not a lawyer and i did not sleep at Holiday Inn last night but i would think that the patent would only protect the claim of cooling and not the procedure, which can be done by hand, so if i possessed the skill set to do my own, i don't think that i would be sued by Diamond Heads

Old 12-27-2011, 02:41 AM
Allenz
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As for cooling I don't think there is any difference. The engine was a S&S 124. When I had the diamond cut done I also had Hillside Cycle increase the bore from 4 1/8" to 4 3/16". The heads were ported, static compression set at 11.2 to 1, bored and Thunderjetted the super G carb. With that set up I saw an increase in operating temperatures.

I can not give an honest answer to heat as I don't have a back to back example of the diamond cut on the same engine displacement and compression.

Although I do agree that I can't see a benefit of the diamond cut to reduce any appreciable heat.

In my case I only wanted it for looks - so I'm happy.

We all put all kinds of chrome and accessories on our bikes that have no function just to make our bike an individual statement of what that individual thinks looks good.

I think we have all see a custom paint job that we can appreciate the workmanship but would say I would never put that I my bike.

Life is short - if you like it on your ride and it makes you happy go for it.

A lot of people love the diamond cut look and some thing it a waste of money. There again some people thing even owing a motorcycle is a waste of money. They are the unfortunate ones - LOL.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diamond cut heads