Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electraglide Instrument Panel Mount Failure

Old 01-05-2012, 06:15 AM
DanElStd
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electraglide Instrument Panel Mount Failure

Has anyone had the mounting bracket for the inner fairing fail. I had the left, top metal bracket (area behind fuel gauge) break off about a year or so ago. Attached a 'patch' with a couple of bolts. Now, hearing rattles, and noticing excessive windshield vibration and going in there to see why the fuel gauge light was not working, I notice the inner fairing plastic around that mounting point has several cracks.

Thank you. Danelstd

Old 01-05-2012, 07:41 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That sucks! I've had the faring support bracket break several times but never the plastic. Good luck with that repair.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Mr. Mike
Road Captain
Received 326 Likes on 147 Posts

same as coolerman, the two brackets broke within a year of each other. I used a small hardware clip using the original mount on the top end of each bracket, and drilled the small thru bolts (10-32 fasteners and silicone to lock them up) at the lower ends and so far have had success. The overall size of the fastener you used may have stressed the plastic, and under constant vibration just fractured.
The windshield threaded inserts are another weak point. I've had to JB Weld all three into their sockets.
Lets hope ingenuity prevails for you on this one.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:27 AM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have read a thread on here somewhere about where the replacement fairing mount brackets have been changed because of them breaking. There was pictures of the original & improved brackets. Has anybody heard of the improved brackets breaking? I cant help but wonder how much of this is being caused by wheelies & such.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by DHubbs
I have read a thread on here somewhere about where the replacement fairing mount brackets have been changed because of them breaking. There was pictures of the original & improved brackets. Has anybody heard of the improved brackets breaking? I cant help but wonder how much of this is being caused by wheelies & such.
I replaced mine at about 4,000 miles. One broke but I did both as long as I was in there. The new bracket is more rigid and thicker where they break

Old 01-05-2012, 12:22 PM
dbinbc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not caused by wheelies or any such thing, caused by vibration at the weakest point, being the brackets. The new style brackets are thicker and better designed. Had to replace my originals at the end of the season so I don't know how the new ones will stand up yet but should be better. There are several after-market repair kits available that look pretty good as well.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:59 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,473 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Another reason I don't like fairings, besides the way they look, is 'cause of all the rattling & breaking of the mounts. Useless,IMHO. A windsheild is better,and who the hell needs a radio?

Old 01-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have all 4 of mine changed now and so far no issues with the new style brackets. They are designed better than the old cheap ones!

And no, I dont do wheelies!

Old 01-05-2012, 01:15 PM
1HarleyGuy1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know if you looked but if you do a search on here there have been a few good threads about the brackets. If you have the older ones I know that a lot of people had problems with them and had them replaced.

1HarleyGuy1

Old 01-05-2012, 08:30 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DHubbs
wheelies & such!!!!! GUILTY!!! Seriously though. Do you think wheelies put stress on the faring? Never considered thats why mine kept breaking. I always set the front down easy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electraglide Instrument Panel Mount Failure