General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Oil Change on 2012 Dyna 1000/m Service

Old 01-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Haides
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Oil Change on 2012 Dyna 1000/m Service

I got my first service on my new bike and drove 10 miles down the freeway back home, then next morning i went out to my bike and i found oil on the floor and this oil mess under my bike. I called the Orange County Harley Davidson Dealership (Irvine) that worked on my bike and they told me this was normal and that i shouldnt be worried about it. The service manager said it was just residual left over from the oil change change and to keep on riding. I insisted that they fix the dam bike! I yelled and complained because after all i paid good money for the service from my own pocket! They told me to bring it in so i did. They steamed the bikes underside. I got the bike back nice and clean, but i also noticed later at home they also left me a few dents in my heads as a keeps sake. Looks like they hammered on it a couple times with a wrench.

Is this what you guys experienced after paying $300 for an oil change?

Last edited by Haides; 01-13-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:04 PM
DaveCarlson
Cruiser

I agree they should have cleaned it up better. Just get some brake cleaner, give it a squirt, wipe her down and call it good. If it still is leaking after you clean it up, then you've got something to bitch about. Until then, just chill. JMO

Old 01-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Haides
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DaveCarlson
I agree they should have cleaned it up better. Just get some brake cleaner, give it a squirt, wipe her down and call it good. If it still is leaking after you clean it up, then you've got something to bitch about. Until then, just chill. JMO
Thats the problem i didnt have any saw dust or brake cleaner or degreaser. I used to run a machine shop but now as i am getting older i want to enjoy the luxury of not working on my own bike! I prefer to focus my time on my own business and let "professionals" handle my bike maintenance. Is that a ill thought fantasy? I like the idea that i can purchase new cars and bikes and trust them with over priced companies to do a good job. I dont mind paying the extra cash for a good job! I like to think i earned this luxury.

Last edited by Haides; 01-13-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:25 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Haides
I got my first service on my new bike and drove 10 miles down the freeway back home, then next morning i went out to my bike and i found oil on the floor and this oil mess under my bike. I called the Orange County Harley Davidson Dealership (Irvine) that worked on my bike and they told me this was normal and that i shouldnt be worried about it. The service manager said it was just residual left over from the oil change change and to keep on riding. I insisted that they fix the dam bike! I yelled and complained because after all i paid good money for the service from my own pocket! They told me to bring it in so i did. They steamed the bikes underside. I got the bike back nice and clean, but i also noticed later at home they also left me a few dents in my heads as a keeps sake. Looks like they hammered on it a couple times with a wrench.

Is this what you guys experienced after paying $300 for an oil change?

Is that all you paid for the first service at HD??? I am so glad they robbed me outright the first time. I invested in various Amzoil products, a PitBull lift, a billet reusable oil filter and am now contemplating an oil scavenging system...and I'm still saving a fortune by doing it myself! Their greed was the best thing they could have exhibited...it kicked me right into gear!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Haides
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
Is that all you paid for the first service at HD??? I am so glad they robbed me outright the first time. I invested in various Amzoil products, a PitBull lift, a billet reusable oil filter and am now contemplating an oil scavenging system...and I'm still saving a fortune by doing it myself! Their greed was the best thing they could have exhibited...it kicked me right into gear!
I dont mind getting robbed, as long as they do a good job!!! This is the best HD dealership in the area. Nicest location. I dont mind forking up the bucks for a quality service. I tip 30% at my favorite restaurants and they treat me well! But this service just seems bastardized and the dents were just uncalled for.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:11 PM
bp_shooter123
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you confront them about the dents that happened after you returned the bike?

Michael

Old 01-13-2012, 09:23 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You paid what I paid for my 1,000 mile service, and my 5,000 mile service. The bike was always returned to me like the day it left the showroom floor. I have no complaints about the service I've received to this point, and gladly pay to have it done. It's not just an oil change. The piece of mind that comes with knowing they went over the bike front to rear and made sure things were right is worth it to me.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Haides
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bp_shooter123
Did you confront them about the dents that happened after you returned the bike?

Michael
No, the dents happened after they steamed it and i didnt notice the dents till the next day. I didnt confront them about the dents because i already knew since i took possession of the bike it would be a he said, she said. But here are the facts:

I park my car behind a 10' wall that goes around my property and in the garage.
I drive my bike daily to work and park my bike inside my shop, we make apparel so there is nothing there that could dent it.
The dents were done in a manner to conceal them behind the ignition coil on the rear left cylinder head. The way the dents were done were not an accident, and were done with intent of concealment. That's why i didnt even notice them when i took possession of my bike. I measures the dents and they match up perfect to the square 1/2 drive of a ratchet. There was 3 strikes to the head. No one would go through these levels of concealment for an act of passion. This was deliberate, calculated and done by someone with the amount of time and access to complete the job. This is not something you can just walk by and do.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Haides
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
You paid what I paid for my 1,000 mile service, and my 5,000 mile service. The bike was always returned to me like the day it left the showroom floor. I have no complaints about the service I've received to this point, and gladly pay to have it done. It's not just an oil change. The piece of mind that comes with knowing they went over the bike front to rear and made sure things were right is worth it to me.
I am glad to hear that, obviously from the photos this was not show room quality work. I will try another dealership near me, they are more expensive but maybe its for a reason. I hope i can find a quality technician who takes pride in their work and will look over the whole bike.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:34 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,077 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Its caused because the shop failed to put anything under the oil filter and just let the oil flow out over your motor mount. Pis poor practice as oil and rubber dont go well together.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Oil Change on 2012 Dyna 1000/m Service