Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 speed tranny?

Old 01-21-2012, 11:04 AM
polish hammer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6 speed tranny?

does harley make a 6 speed tranny for an evo model?
trying to compare the companies for durability
ultima revtech
anyone had these trannys and what do you think?

Old 01-21-2012, 11:48 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have an 06 Deluxe and up until 07 all they came in was 5 speeds. My bike now has a SE 6 speed tranny and I LOVE it! I would never own a bike with a 4 or 5 speed tranny again. If I did buy something under an 07, my 1st thing to do would be to pull the tranny and put a 6 speed in it. So, even if I was looking or bought a bike with a 4 or 5 speed it would be with knowing what I was going to be doing and spending before hand.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,723 Likes on 18,538 Posts

Originally Posted by polish hammer
does harley make a 6 speed tranny for an evo model?
trying to compare the companies for durability
ultima revtech
anyone had these trannys and what do you think?
Baker Drivetrain in Lansing, MI is a very reputable company to deal with ... give 'em a call ... http://www.bakerdrivetrain.com/softail/index.htm

Old 01-21-2012, 01:01 PM
polish hammer
Tourer

i will not buy a baker unless i got a deal on one the price is crazy...
does anyone know if se makes a 6 speed for an evo?
also im buying a complete tranny
i will have an ultima or smw 113" engine just thinking wether the extra cost of the smw is worth it or not its about 1000 more for smw than it is for ultima

Old 01-21-2012, 01:45 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

trying to compare the companies for durability ultima revtech anyone had these trannys and what do you think?
I "HAD" a RevTech 6-Speed trans It locked up on me while cruising a two lane hwy at 75 to 80 mph. Didn't give much warning either, just felt a few quick jolting tugs on the drive train, then rear wheel locked into a full on skid. I was somehow able to keep the bike upright and as soon as I came to a full abrupt stop, I put the kick stand down and got the hell off the bike to flag down approaching traffic. The rear end was locked, so there was no way to move it off the road without cutting the secondary belt. Anyway, the cops showed up to direct traffic around my bike and they let me call a friend with tools so we could remove the belt. Thanks ppilotmike, you saved me about $500.00!

Personally, I don't expect to EVER own anything made by RevTech again.

Also, I highly suggest you do a whole lot more research on Ultima Engines and Drive Trains to determine if that's what you really want. They certainly have more issues than I have patience for. I do like wrenching my bike over the winter months, but I like riding problem free during the summer months. From the research I've done, you'll be doing more wrenching than riding.

Do some searches on various forums including this one. You'll find numerous negative posts in just about every Ultima & RevTech Engine or Drive Train thread. You might start with this thread, it was enough to convince me that you need to be a total motor-head wrench to keep one running: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...r-results.html

There's a reason why an S&S Engine and Baker's Trans are so much more expensive ... Or should I say that there's a reason why the Ultima & RevTech's are so cheap?

Old 01-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,154 Likes on 5,390 Posts

Rivera Primo sells one...price somewhere between Ultima and Baker...2 year warranty...love my Baker

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RIVERA-PRIMO...610#vi-content

Old 01-21-2012, 02:47 PM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i will not buy a baker unless i got a deal on one the price is crazy...
does anyone know if se makes a 6 speed for an evo?
also im buying a complete tranny
i will have an ultima or smw 113" engine just thinking wether the extra cost of the smw is worth it or not its about 1000 more for smw than it is for ultima
Well, I can tell you from a horrible, horrible experience that you get what you pay for. The guy that worked on my bike put a cheap gear set in my bike (as best I can tell an Ultima), and I ended up having to have it removed and another gear set installed. I ended up going with a Baker. The Baker gear set is cheaper than the Harley gear set.

At the end of the day, the six-speed tranny is the best mod I've done. However, I would never, ever install a gear set other than a Harley SE or a Baker. It might just save you $1000 and a trip to small claims court to get your money back.

The Baker gear set has a 5 year warranty. Harley has a two year warranty. Most others have a 1 year or 2 year warranty.

BTW, the Baker 6-speed is smoother than my factory 5-speed was.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:27 PM
polish hammer
Tourer

maybe i missed the boat on this one does ss make trannys anymore?

Old 01-24-2012, 06:32 PM
flashprez
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I put a revtech 6 speed on my 1998 Softail in the spring of 1998, it has about 87K on it with no problems.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:41 PM
polish hammer
Tourer

i think im going rev tech anyone have eperiance with the new design the "heavy duty" one?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6 speed tranny?