Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Rear Fascia for Street Glide Installed

Old 02-02-2012, 08:51 AM
bkingjr
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Custom Rear Fascia for Street Glide Installed

I could not find a rear fender or rear fascia for my Street Glide that matched up with the exhaust & saddle bags just right. Being a perfectionist, I was never happy with the look of the stock rear fascia. After adding 4" extended bags, I had to find something to complete the look.

I had this rear fascia fabricated out of 16 gauge. It is 3" longer than the stock rear fascia and slightly wider on the sides. The 3" longer piece I believe compliments the look of the extended bags. I researched this and found this to be the ideal extended length without rubbing while going up steep hills or over speed bumps. My goal was to have it match up with the contours of the pipes and bags perfectly, while filling the side gaps and providing a lowered look.

I like the fact that this bolts on & can be done easily by anyone at home. Plus, it's small enough that the cost to have it painted professionally is minimal.

I plan on marketing these(if there is interest) because I believe this meets an unmet need for these bikes. Will fit Street Glides and Road Glides, PLUS - I can make them work for your application - Fit exhaust contours, no left side cut-out, with or without tri-bar run/brake light, longer etc...

I have discovered the exhaust angles on these bikes are slightly different. In order to have both pipes centered perfectly, I made the hole slightly bigger on the right side exhaust mount and moved it out approximately 1/4". After talking with several shops, mechanics and fabricators, I discovered this holds true with all touring models.

Pictured are: My bike w/ new rear fascia, template of rear fascia without slots for tri-bar run/brake, and side view of template showing how it bolts on to factory bolts on rear fender.

Any interest? What do you think?

Thanks - BKINGJR
[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Attached Thumbnails Custom Rear Fascia for Street Glide Installed-2012-01-25_10-06-02_376.jpg   Custom Rear Fascia for Street Glide Installed-2012-01-31_16-11-21_438.jpg   Custom Rear Fascia for Street Glide Installed-2012-01-31_16-12-52_108.jpg  
Old 02-02-2012, 08:55 AM
lickmstickmman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great... and it's the great American way... see a need, fill a need. Good luck, if the fit and finish are any where near the finished pic on your bike, you will have great success...

P.S., only thing I would see would be finding a way to also bolt it to the bottom of the fender. I think there is a stock bolt location there. That way it wont shift left and right from vibration and chip the paint.

Last edited by lickmstickmman; 02-02-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:25 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Id like to see an application for a RK only being able to keep the fender trim ( see sig pic above grem bell) im not crazy about the gap between the fender and my bags. If you expand your line to include a clean application for the RK it will fill a need as well.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:34 AM
bkingjr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lickmstickmman
Looks great... and it's the great American way... see a need, fill a need. Good luck, if the fit and finish are any where near the finished pic on your bike, you will have great success...

P.S., only thing I would see would be finding a way to also bolt it to the bottom of the fender. I think there is a stock bolt location there. That way it wont shift left and right from vibration and chip the paint.
Thanks Lickmstickmman!

Like I said I'm a perfectionist, actually an OCD perfectionist. The fit is perfect & precise. My fabricator is one of the best. His end result is smooth and his welds are extremely clean. This required minimal body work prior to painting.

There is no bolts on the bottom part of the fender or fascia. The only bolts hold the tri-bar light. There is a small edge that the tri-bar rest on as well. The tolerances are tight and precise. It's mounted just like the factory rear fascia and doesn't move at all.

Here are a few pics of the back of the rear fascia. As you can see - no bolts on the bottom other than the 2 that hold the tri-bar light. You can also see the 3 holes on the sides that attach to the fender.

Attached Thumbnails Custom Rear Fascia for Street Glide Installed-2012-02-02_10-02-45_841.jpg   Custom Rear Fascia for Street Glide Installed-2012-02-02_10-14-00_456.jpg  
Old 02-02-2012, 09:38 AM
131tman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bkingjr
Couldn't find a fender/fascia that matched up with the exhaust/bags. Exhaust angles on these bikes are slightly different.
To have both pipes centered, I made the hole slightly bigger on the right & moved it out 1/4".
My exhaust is "centered".
Gaps look "skewed" in your angled pic - post a shot like below for comparison!

Last edited by 131tman; 02-02-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:48 AM
12limited
Tourer

That looks great...now if I could just afford the long bags and street glide fender to install on my Limted.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:50 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

be a market if he was to make em like the cvo rear set up where the piece would look good with or without the extended bags

Old 02-02-2012, 09:57 AM
131tman
Road Master

Originally Posted by leohd
be a market if he was to make em like the cvo rear set up where the piece would look good with or without the extended bags
CVO™ Style Rear Fender System $1000 59500105BEO
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Last edited by 131tman; 02-02-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 191 Posts

Dang man that looks great. I'm getting ready to have my new bags painted and the bags with the stock fascia just doesn't look right. I've been trying to decide if I want to drop the cash on the CVO set up or fab my own like you did. Seems like a lot of work. How much would you sell them for?

Old 02-02-2012, 10:07 AM
bkingjr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Id like to see an application for a RK only being able to keep the fender trim ( see sig pic above grem bell) im not crazy about the gap between the fender and my bags. If you expand your line to include a clean application for the RK it will fill a need as well.
Tucci, we could definitely make one for you. I was checking out the picture - I think one that fills the gap, contours down to the top of the rear fender trim would look great. I will look at a RK and determine how it could be done. Looks like it could attach to the bolts on each side of the license plate? You could also send a template of exactly what you want and we could follow it.

Attached Thumbnails Custom Rear Fascia for Street Glide Installed-rk-tail.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom Rear Fascia for Street Glide Installed