Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Toy Hauler for Harley

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 07:53 PM
SlagleRock
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Toy Hauler for Harley

How many here own (or have owned) a toy hauler? While I personally prefer to ride any/everywhere. The Mrs. and the kids can't handle too much of it. That and you cant get a family of 4 on a Road King Classic, LOL. Anyway, considering buying a toy hauler for longer distance things that may include the family, or at the very least my Ol' Lady. I think it would be great for out of state rallies and some club functions.

Thoughts, suggestions, advice, brands, do, don'ts, must have's etc.???

Please keep in mind this is by no means a necessity, purely a nicety for my Ol' Lady and possibly/occasionally the kids. I have no problem riding cross country. While living in Japan I had many a 9-10 hour riding day.

Thanks all!

Last edited by SlagleRock; 02-17-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:07 PM
rlaf75
Tourer

if youre looking for a lil security and to keep the "toys" clean i would suggest an enclosed trailer. if weight is an issue then an open trailer would be fine. i would recommend if you go with an enclosed that it has brakes. they can get pretty heavy with a bike and gear in them. i have a 7x10 enclosed carmate i use when transporting the scoot. i can fit 2 dressers in there as well.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:10 PM
12limited
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Find a hotel...

I ordered a new 2007 34ft toy hauler with a 13ft cargo bay in Nov 2006. Never hauled a street bike in it...we raced motocross 8-10 years. It was great for what we used it for. It was self contained with 110 gallons of water and 30 gallons of fuel with a built in generators. WE could pull up to a race track with no hook-ups and stay for 3 days no problem. With hook up we could stay till we got tired of being around each other.
I sold it Nov 2011 cause the boy is in college now and no time to race.
This one weighed about 11000 lbs and I pulled it with a 3/4 truck. I think most of the toyhaulers are heavier that regular campers...since they need to be able to haul more cargo(mine up to 4500lbs) than regular campers.
IT was nice but...

I think it is cheaper to stay in a hotel!

I don't mean to be negative or bust your bubble...but
The money you gonna pay for the toyhauler and the truck to pull it...plus the extra fuel you gonna use going where you are gonna set up, the up keep of the toyhauler since weather destroys them unless they are under a shed.

Get you a tandem axle cargo trailer and find a hotel, you will be money ahead in the end.

Last edited by 12limited; 02-17-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:09 PM
bohica48
Cruiser

The wife and I decided we wanted a camper just to get away on week-ends. Went looking at campers and came across a toy hauler which met our needs plus being able to take the bike. Beside camping, we use it to haul the bike to the Texas Hill country twice a year. Made one trip to South Dakota with a friend and his wife, hauled two Heritage Softails with no problems.

I know you can rent them, maybe try that and see how it works out.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

I have a Fuzion 302 toy hauler. It works great and we like it because you can go to an area and set up a base camp and get a chance to ride all the local roads across multiple days, plus we like to camp and I'm not sleeping on the ground anymore, been there and done that for over 20 years.

If it rains one day, we just sit under the awning and drink beer, play cards, or whatever. We do take trips on the bike without it but those are usually trips where we are doing a loop where we are not in one general area for more than a day. It just depends on what we are trying to see and do.

I haul two baggers with no problem in the toy hauler.

We also use it for camping trips and trips to my land in Tennessee so it's definitely not just for the bike.

Lots of choices out there but the 302 is bit enough to stay in for awhile but not too big to get pull around easy enough.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:09 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

I have a smaller one, a KZ MXT 20. Hauls both Harleys and makes a nice little camper. 1/2 ton towable too. Might be upgrading soon, bought a new truck today that'll pull a much bigger camper.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:14 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by SlagleRock
That and you cant get a family of 4 on a Road King Classic, LOL.

My uncle told me that when they returned from WWII that him and his brother bought bikes and would double date on his bike either an Indian or H-D. Dont know what they owned at the time but the brother owned both at one time. He said he put one girl on the tank and on the back the brother and other girl would sit on the rear side by side holding on. This was on dirt and gravel roads. I dont want to ride on gravel by myself much less with 3 passengers.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:02 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

work and play by forest river RV they are awesome. I will own one by the end of the year.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:21 AM
2011_Glide
Cruiser

I wouldn't mind getting one, but don't have the money right now.

But, I DO HAVE THE TRUCK TO PULL IT WITH.........

Attached Thumbnails Best Toy Hauler for Harley-truck.jpg  
Old 02-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Sledge Hammer
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 12limited
I ordered a new 2007 34ft toy hauler with a 13ft cargo bay in Nov 2006. Never hauled a street bike in it...we raced motocross 8-10 years. It was great for what we used it for. It was self contained with 110 gallons of water and 30 gallons of fuel with a built in generators. WE could pull up to a race track with no hook-ups and stay for 3 days no problem. With hook up we could stay till we got tired of being around each other.
I sold it Nov 2011 cause the boy is in college now and no time to race.
This one weighed about 11000 lbs and I pulled it with a 3/4 truck. I think most of the toyhaulers are heavier that regular campers...since they need to be able to haul more cargo(mine up to 4500lbs) than regular campers.
IT was nice but...

I think it is cheaper to stay in a hotel!

I don't mean to be negative or bust your bubble...but
The money you gonna pay for the toyhauler and the truck to pull it...plus the extra fuel you gonna use going where you are gonna set up, the up keep of the toyhauler since weather destroys them unless they are under a shed.

Get you a tandem axle cargo trailer and find a hotel, you will be money ahead in the end.
What you are saying makes some sense. I am retiring in July and have been thinking pretty seriously about the Toy Hauler route. I live in Wisconsin and right after Christmas I am ready to escape. The Toy Hauler seemed like a way to go. I thought about touring the country for a few months until the weather became more hospitable at home. After some research I came to the conclusion I would have to spend about $28,000 on a truck. That buys a 2006 Ford F250 Super Duty Turbo Diesel with around 40,000 to 50,000 miles on it. I could find 2006 to 2008 Toy Haulers in the 33 to 35 foot range for low to mid $20,000 range. My tastes tend to make me want the ones in the mid 20's. Obviously you could spend a lot more on the truck and the Toy Hauler. Bottom line is I am into it for the mid $50's before I get out of the driveway. On the other hand if I stayed in a motel for 2 months at $100 per night I would spend about $6,000. There are other costs to consider on both sides of the question. It probably makes the most economical sense to just move south so I can ride all year.

The following users liked this post:
B Hall (02-12-2021)

Quick Reply: Best Toy Hauler for Harley