Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change Disaster with Rogue Chopper Oil Change Kit - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 05:03 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Change Disaster with Rogue Chopper Oil Change Kit - Need Advice

I purchased the oil change kit from Rogue Chopper because I thought it would be a good idea to get ALL of the old oil out. I had seen the Rogue Chopper ad in my American Iron Magazines and saw their online video. I had been changing my oil every 5,000 miles the old fashioned way since buying my 2007 FXDC in April 2007. The bike runs fine.

Today, disaster. The Rogue Chopper Kit has an L-shaped tube, the short end of which goes into the oil return hole behind the oil fill spout. The directions tell you to take off the oil fill spout and insert the short end of the L-shaped tube into the oil return hole and then put a clear tub onto the long end of the L-shaped tube. You guessed it - my hands got slippery and I dropped the L-shaped tube into the crankcase where it promptly sank to the bottom of the crankcase. The L-shaped tube is about 4 inches long on the long side and 1 inch on the short side. I drained my brand new oil out to see if I could get the L-shaped tube out with a long screwdriver. I gave up on that after 2 hours. Then, I figured I'd remove the oil pan - gee, how hard could that be? I drained my transmission fluid in anticipation of removing the oil pan. Well it looks easy in my service manual. However, I cannot reach one of the bolts on the right side of the oil pan because the frame is in the way. I have my 2007 all the way up on my J&S jack and I cannot reach that one bolt to save my life. It looks like the engine has to be lifted up a bit.

Does anyone have any advice? My nearest Harley dealer is 17 miles away in Rahway, NJ and I don't have a trailer. Can I ride the bike with this L-shaped tube in the bottom of my oil pan to the dealer?

If anyone has any suggestions, including anyone who might live near me and could get the oil pan off and on again, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Richard

Old 02-19-2012, 05:05 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 835 Likes on 370 Posts

wow. i have no clue. i wish you luck

Old 02-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Harley Tim
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe a set of flexable mechanical fingers?

Best of luck....Tim(HT)

Old 02-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you fish it out with a creatively bent coathanger.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:27 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior

Good idea Shredding Rubber. That didn't occur to me. I will try the coathanger now.

Richard

Old 02-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rdondes
Good idea Shredding Rubber. That didn't occur to me. I will try the coathanger now.

Richard
I hope it works for you. Good luck

Old 02-19-2012, 05:41 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Default All fixed - coathangers rule!!

I got the L-shaped tube out of my crankcase. I fished around for it with the coathanger and managed to move it to the left side of the crankcase where I could see it by using my flashlight (all the oil must be drained first). Then, I extracted the L-shaped tube using a straight reverse forceps with a bent-nose (the kind of forceps that clamp to the work when you let go of the handle).

My brand new Rogue Chopper oil change kit just went into the dumpster. I just went through 5 hours of extreme aggravation for nothing in my opinion.

Thanks again Shredding Rubber.

Richard

Old 02-19-2012, 05:43 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 835 Likes on 370 Posts

man congrats. see if we listened to the movie and got rid of our wire hangers. where would we be?

Old 02-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Glad to hear your evening has been saved.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:46 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior

I am 56 and have been using wire coathangers since 1971 on cars and motorcycles for any number of things. I have 5 of them hanging over my workbench in my garage. I don't know why it didn't occur to me. I guess I was so pissed off for being careless that I couldn't see the forest for the trees.

I learned my lesson. The old fashioned way has worked since 1971 for me and tomorrow I'll go buy more 20W-50 and finish the oil change.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Disaster with Rogue Chopper Oil Change Kit - Need Advice