Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

120R or big bore????

Old 02-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Sallyman
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 120R or big bore????

Hey all, I've been down the big bore road a few times and although I enjoy gathering up all the parts to compliment each other sometimes I think it would be easier and more economical to just spend the 5K and be done with it... It seems I always spend about $3500 anyhow without touching the bottom end. I know I definately don't need this much power but it would be fun!!

Old 02-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sallyman
Hey all, I've been down the big bore road a few times and although I enjoy gathering up all the parts to compliment each other sometimes I think it would be easier and more economical to just spend the 5K and be done with it... It seems I always spend about $3500 anyhow without touching the bottom end. I know I definately don't need this much power but it would be fun!!
I'm building a 120r from the bottom up. I thought about buying the crate motor but after my previous experiences with stock cranks I just don't trust them. I'm going to use the SE 4-5/8" crank but it will be plugged, trued and welded and in Timken bearings for extra measure. 5K will get you the crate motor only, then you need to add throttle body, injectors etc. and a few other items to make it complete. My guess is you would be doing good to get out for under $6500.

I don't need it either but my 10.5 comp 98" was starting to bore me

Rick

Old 02-19-2012, 06:09 PM
Trek
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was tough call for me too. I ended up going with cams and a ported head that had larger valves. Cost about 1800 by local indy. Couldn't be happier with the the way the bike runs.

But, larger cubes are always a huge temptation! I still don't know which way I would go right now if I were to do it all over again.

Probably, when the motor gets worn, I'd just rebuild what I have. It pulls very well, easy on gas, starts easy...

Great thing to have to ponder on during a cold winter evening stuck at home though isn't it!

Old 02-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Trek
Great thing to have to ponder on during a cold winter evening stuck at home though isn't it!
My pondering was over at the end of the year. I'm on my way. The only part I'm waiting on is the crank which is backordered. I hope to have it soon.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior
Received 209 Likes on 116 Posts

I too am trying to make the same decision. I think if I didn't already invest in cams, exhaust and intake (which would all need to be changed with the 120R) I'd be installing the 120R, no doubt. But I think if I were to punch it out to a 107" and go with a set of B heads from Jamie I'd be more then happy with what I got. I love that 120" crate motor tho

Old 02-19-2012, 07:05 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Dad put a 120R in his SG trike last year. Cost him 8K by the time he was done, but he not only got the new throttle body and other parts, but he hadn't done the Stage 1 at that point either, so that part cost him quite a bit as well. But, he's now also got a 103" sitting on his coffee table that he could sell on e-bay to recoup part of his expenses if he chooses to, or if/when he sells this bike for another one, he could put the original 103" back in and move the 120R to his new bike. If you look at fuelmoto's threads on their 107" kits with worked heads, he's getting numbers in the 120 HP/TQ, which are very close to the 120R's numbers for around half the cost.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:13 PM
NMNSG08
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thinking the same thing myself.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:19 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
My Dad put a 120R in his SG trike last year. Cost him 8K by the time he was done, but he not only got the new throttle body and other parts, but he hadn't done the Stage 1 at that point either, so that part cost him quite a bit as well. But, he's now also got a 103" sitting on his coffee table that he could sell on e-bay to recoup part of his expenses if he chooses to, or if/when he sells this bike for another one, he could put the original 103" back in and move the 120R to his new bike. If you look at fuelmoto's threads on their 107" kits with worked heads, he's getting numbers in the 120 HP/TQ, which are very close to the 120R's numbers for around half the cost.
I've often wanted to see what would happen if someone put a big inch motor in a trike. What happens when he dumps the clutch? Wheelstand of can he smoke both rear tires?

Old 02-19-2012, 07:52 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

I intitially was going started with the basic Stage 1 and TW-555 cams. I then felt that was enough power for me (92hp/107 torque). So I looked into some Big Bore kits, different cams & 2/1 exhaust. Most prices were coming in around $3,000ish. After giving it a bit more thought I realized that I could get the 120R for $4,700, hell that's only $1,700 more. Of course I still need the Throttle body ($350ish), Injectors ($120) and exhaust ($650). But now I have a true performance engine. Though I may swap out the cams.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:56 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dgdamore
I've often wanted to see what would happen if someone put a big inch motor in a trike. What happens when he dumps the clutch? Wheelstand of can he smoke both rear tires?
I haven't seen any burnouts yet, but he's gotten the front end up in my driveway a few times.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 120R or big bore????