Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To Tell If You're Running Lean?

Old 02-23-2012, 09:41 AM
olsenjb
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Tell If You're Running Lean?

I started another post talking about how my plugs are white on 2011 RKC and I'm concerned I'm running too lean. The overwhelming feedback I received was that you can't tell much from looking at plugs these days.

So, how do you know for sure if you're running too lean if not by looking at the plugs? I've installed V/H mufflers and a SE air cleaner. I've reflashed with my SEPST with a standard map, then done 8-10 "Smart Tune" recordings and reflashed with it. Just want to make sure I'm not running too lean.

Last edited by olsenjb; 02-23-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:44 AM
onaride63
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Take it to the shop and have your AFM checked.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:51 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by olsenjb
I started another post talking about how my plugs are white on 2011 RKC and I'm concerned I'm running too lean. The overwhelming feedback I received was that you can't tell much from looking at plugs these days.

So, how do you know for sure if you're running too lean if not by looking at the plugs? I've installed V/H mufflers and a SE air cleaner. I've reflashed with my SEPST with a standard map, then done 8-10 "Smart Tune" recordings and reflashed with it. Just want to make sure I'm not running too lean.
As far as I'm concerned, new bikes run too lean from the factory. If I were riding a bone stock bike I would still have put on XIED's or VIED's. Also as far as I'm concerned, XIED's are all you will need through a stage one upgrade. Beyond that, cams/headwork, I'd install a tuner.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:01 AM
olsenjb
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the SEPST tuner and have reflashed...just wondering if there's some sure way to tell if I'm running too lean still?

Old 02-23-2012, 01:09 PM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 145 Posts

Excessively good gas mileage?

TedMan

Old 02-23-2012, 03:51 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as I'm concerned, new bikes run too lean from the factory.
I was going to say --- If the bike is stock and has any insignias that say something like "HARLEY-DAVIDSON" on them, that's indicative of a lean condition.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:14 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,702 Likes on 21,262 Posts

What's your oil temperature runnin'?

Old 02-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Gearhead3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Generally speaking, bikes that are running too lean have a sluggish feeling to them. You give it gas and it's not very responsive, it runs too hot, it may have some pinging issues. Find a buddy with a bike that has been tuned properly and see if he'll let you take it for a spin, you'll notice in the first couple of blocks if yours is lean or not.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:24 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by olsenjb
I have the SEPST tuner and have reflashed...just wondering if there's some sure way to tell if I'm running too lean still?
When I had a Metric bike I took it to an indy once to have em sniff my emissions and they were able to tell if I was phat or lean, maybe you should have em sniff your exhaust?

Old 02-23-2012, 04:30 PM
BlackSpecial
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My indy will do a baseline dyno including a/f ratio readings for $55. You'll want the a/f ratio for both WOT and roll-on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To Tell If You're Running Lean?