Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backrests for FLD

Old 03-12-2012, 09:28 AM
norton
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Backrests for FLD

I've read quite a few threads about the different seats being bought for this bike but wondered about the backrests everybody are using please.

Specifically, what about the passenger backrest that you can buy with a Corbin seat called the "oval-back"? Are these any good or would you be better off with a factory backrest that is mounted between the fender struts?

I always wondered how the Corbin backrests hold up with the pressure of the passenger leaning against it all the time. Thanks

Old 03-12-2012, 10:50 AM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just installed the Corbin backrest this weekend. Very solid product & it mounts differently depending on what seat you have. Some have a bracket that gets mounted to the underside of the seat, my dual tour I just slid it down the slot in the back & it had a screw hole from the back that I just had to tighten down.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:09 AM
norton
Road Captain

Thanks Steve. Does it look and feel fairly solid and secure and not give much when a passenger would lean against it?

Old 03-12-2012, 12:13 PM
tOSUSteve
Road Master

Originally Posted by norton
Thanks Steve. Does it look and feel fairly solid and secure and not give much when a passenger would lean against it?
It was much heavier than I expected & does not move when leaned against. The lean angle can be adjusted as well, which was one of the reasons I went with it vs back rest

Old 03-12-2012, 04:27 PM
ddmau
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tOSUSteve
It was much heavier than I expected & does not move when leaned against. The lean angle can be adjusted as well, which was one of the reasons I went with it vs back rest
Looks to me like you've got that "back rest" well covered.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:14 AM
norton
Road Captain

Steve,
If you have the time would care to give us your evaluation of the new Corbin seat if you've had a chance to ride with it please?

I am also considering one but since they are fairly pricey I hope to be sure when and if I invest in one.

Do you sit basically the same as the stock seat?

Old 03-15-2012, 08:50 AM
tOSUSteve
Road Master

Originally Posted by norton
Steve,
If you have the time would care to give us your evaluation of the new Corbin seat if you've had a chance to ride with it please?

I am also considering one but since they are fairly pricey I hope to be sure when and if I invest in one.

Do you sit basically the same as the stock seat?
Norton:

I can't give you a good comparison to the stock seat since I took it off after about 2 miles. I can not imagine the stock seat would be any better for me & certainly not for a passenger. I can tell you that the Corbin is great.

I can move back farther & have a mini-backrest since it is pretty deep or I can move up & get a different pressure point on shoulders/hands/back. I have not noticed any sliding around so the seat seems to hold you in place.

The wife loves the seat/backrest & the backrest can be moved forward/back to her likening - it uses a small allen-headed screw so I keep the supplied allen wrench in the saddlebag.

I could order a real backrest for me as well, but I'm not sure how much space it would leave for the passenger. The seat already has the cutout for it so not an issue if I decided to try it.

I got the ostrich stripe & have gotten a few compliments on how good it looks on the bike.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:50 AM
norton
Road Captain

Thanks Man!

Old 03-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Switchback12
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

I have the HD Signature seat. Much more comfortable than stock for driver and passenger. My girl says that the driver backrest doesn't impede with her comfort. The seat is 16" wide in front and 12.5' in the back (wide as you'll find). I sit forward and up about 3/4" - 1". Fits me better for arms, I was considering risers with an extra inch over stock, but no longer feel the need. I have the medium medallion, detachable sissy bar with 12" wide backrest and she loves it. (seat not on in my picture)