Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Anyone tried the Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro CVT Fuel Management?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 11:25 AM
OldNavy66
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone tried the Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro CVT Fuel Management?

Cobra is now promoting their Fi2000 PowrPro with CVT Continuously Variable Tuning fuel management system. They claim that the PowrPro reads the bike's EFI delivery at up to 80 times per second every time the throttle is opened to optimize the acceleration air/ fuel mixture, under every kind of load and under all existing conditions. No matter what kind of new hardware you install on your bike--a new exhaust system, a freer-flowing air filter setup or even a big-bore hop-up kit with high-performance cams, PowrPro continues to analyze and tune your engine for peak performance.

This unit is pretty pricey at $600 a shot, but looks easy to install and sounds like the perfect solution if you are continuously modifying your bike in stages ... no dyno required.

But ... has anyone actually tried this unit and, if so, does it work as advertised? I am looking to modify my 2010 Fatboy Lo with new Rush 2=>1 pipes, K&N air cleaner and cams, but one change at a time.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:52 AM
rkcbarge
Novice

I would go with a proven fuel management like PCV or Harley Davidson super tuner

Old 01-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Woweh
Cruiser

My previous post to this tuner on another site, I copied and pasted here.

Well I just wanted to share my experience with the new EFI Cobra auto tuner with you all in case anyone is interested in buying one. My setup: 2011 Fat Boy Lo, V&H twin slash slip-ons, Big city thunder quiet baffles(modified to fit the slip-on's)(bought them for the V&H Big shot staggered in case I buy these in the future and welded reducers to the BCT quiet baffles), also installed a Ness Big sucker, yes I cracked the first back-plate, but Marco at Ness provided outstanding customer service and sent me a free replacement, under warranty, two thumbs up for Marco at Ness!! Finally I installed the cobra auto tuner unit, this took about 45min, on the softail the hardest part I found was installing the 02 sensor connector behind the oil tank, not the connector itself but the clip that holds it into place behind there. I guess I could have added another cable tie, but I got it in place eventually. I also want to tell you all, I don't have another tuner to compare to, as this is my first HD and tuner(not first street bike). Now, everything installed, I fired it up and immediately noticed the sound was deeper/more full, I was running a little lean for a while with only the above mentioned slip-ons only until my 1000mile inspection, which is when I installed the Ness BS and Cobra Auto-Tune, so the sound was different. I did what they say, to teach the unit, where you take her for a ride, a little harder through the rpm/gears range a couple of times so the unit learns your bike?and voila, no back firing which was what I had a lot before IMO, even before the Ness Big Sucker was installed, and the bike runs great. I am sold on this unit, now keep in mind I have not put it on a dyno and also not looking for numbers like that, all I was looking for is a unit to auto tune based on riding conditions, temperature, modifications..etc It could very well be running within +/- 5% of a perfect tune or better but I wouldn't know or care. She pulls much, MUCH harder, sounds better, feels to be running cooler, and seems to have increased my MPG/ KM here in Canada..EH!!!..Lol So Basically I got what I was looking for.
They say that you could add and modify and the unit will adjust, WELL because of my AC back-plate crack(rode with it cracked a couple of times but didn't want to risk debris getting into the engine), I had to go back to the stock AC, but kept the tuner and of course the slip-on's, on, ran like a champ, auto adjusted itself "no backfiring or popping", good deep full sound, and no tweaking of maps to deal with. I like it! now when I get the back-plate I will reinstall it and the larger air filter, and this unit will adjust to it.
Pretty awesome in my book, hopefully it will stand the test of time, Cobra has a pretty solid Rep so I took the plunge. I hope this review helps any of you Guys/Gals out thinking of buying this unit or anything with an auto-tune (Auto-tune Def the way to go whether Cobra or??). Hope you all have a Happy Day!! See ya Eh!!

Old 01-15-2012, 08:11 PM
jlb0038
Road Captain

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I will have one tomorrow when the brown truck shows up. I was using a Dobeck TFI and it worked great, I just couldn't get used to not knowing if it was perfect or not.
I got it from one of the advertisers here for $459.95 shipped.
J.B.

Last edited by jlb0038; 01-16-2012 at 12:18 PM. Reason: wrong price
Old 01-15-2012, 10:22 PM
cdemarse
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tag..

Old 01-16-2012, 05:39 AM
04 Fatboy 67
Tourer

Interesting....I have the FP and am not happy with it. May go with the Cobra.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:08 AM
cdemarse
Tourer

Originally Posted by jlb0038
I will have one tomorrow when the brown truck shows up. I was using a Dobeck TFI and it worked great, I just couldn't get used to not knowing if it was perfect or not.
I got it from one of the advertisers here for $459.00 shipped.
J.B.
Which one? At that price I would be glad to support them also.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have this new one, but 3 of us run the Fi2000 with the o2 sensors and they have all run like a top since we put them on and NO pop on decel at all. Run alot cooler also. We are all pleased with the cost and performance. I would like the new one, BUT I've got winter mod plan already in process...maybe next year!

Old 01-16-2012, 11:33 AM
grumpygy
Tourer

Originally Posted by jlb0038
I got it from one of the advertisers here for $459.00 shipped.
J.B.

At that price you do not have the Auto tune and the O2 sensors do you.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:10 PM
cdemarse
Tourer

Originally Posted by grumpygy
At that price you do not have the Auto tune and the O2 sensors do you.
I would assume yes. Cheapest I could find the auto tune one for so far is $499 from Dr. V-twin. Gonna give it a little more time and if not will just order from him. Seems like a lot of people are happy with his service.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried the Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro CVT Fuel Management?