Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cobra Auto Tuner

Old 03-17-2012, 08:38 PM
Stag556
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cobra Auto Tuner

I just installed my Cobra Auto Tuner and I immediately noticed a difference. I previously installed a Harley stage 1 intake and V&H Short Shots without a tuner. I had A LOT of decel pop before the tuner install and now it's gone.

Install was fairly simple and instructions were straight forward. I haven't ridden much with it yet but a friend who has it on his bike loves it.

I'll update this thread when I get some more ride time in.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:15 AM
RenoRider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Tuner

I put mine on last week as well. Was really straight forward however small hands ( my Fiance's) came in handy to disconect the stock injector leads.

Still have stock pipes on my '12 Roadglide with a cat and a stage 1 Intake. Seems like the bike responds better and runs a bit cooler as well.

Need to get the cat off and replaced with some new pipes as soon as the wallet will allow.

Good product in my opinion for basic stage one set ups and maybe a small cam but that is the limit of this product I think with its limitations.

R/

RenoRider

Old 03-18-2012, 08:17 AM
South Jersey Scooter Trash
Road Captain

Hey Stagg keep me posted on the results I'm the market just don't what I want I was leaning towards a S.E.R.T

Old 03-18-2012, 08:25 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Had mine on since early winter.
It was a good season not to put it away.
Bike runs great!

Old 03-18-2012, 08:55 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not having good luck with mine so far...here's the story:

I previously had the Python 2-1s and a custom tune on my '06 Dyna with a PCIII...also have the K&N filter with a Screamin Eagle backing plate.

I had to switch to the 25° injectors and also switched out my pipes...just used a generic map, but got it tweaked to run great. In stock form though, it sputtered at times and would spit then stall if you let it idle long enough.

I just recently went back to the Python 2-1s and bought the Cobra FI2000 thinking I would be all set when I wanted to do cams or big bore down the road.

BUT, the bike runs like crap! It spits like it did when it was stock, which I believe is because they did not put the right reflash on when I changed injectors. I did the work then took it to the dealer for the flash.

I had basically forgot how bad it was because the bike ran so great with my generic, but tweaked map and the 2-2 pipes.

Basically, the PCIII was taking care of the map, but it seems that with the Cobra, the stock map (which sucks) is causing me problems.

Apparently the Cobra can't overcome this? I talked to Cobra tech suport and he stated about the learning curve, but really, the Cobra unit is not tied to the ECM, so I think it will be a problem unless I get it reflased.

Does this sound like what's happening?

Old 03-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Stag556
Road Master

Originally Posted by nj wideglide 11
Hey Stagg keep me posted on the results I'm the market just don't what I want I was leaning towards a S.E.R.T
Definitely will keep you updated. I was only able to take the bike out for a short 20 miles yesterday but could definitely tell some differences already. The decel pop was virtually eliminated, which is a huge plus for me. According to Cobra, the unit will "learn" your bike over time so I don't want to say this tuner is the holy grail just yet.

I looked at the S.E.R.T. as well but was pretty discouraged when the dealer told me that they were running a special and it still cost $700 for the tuner and install time. If this unit works as advertised, I can do any mod I wish and it should adapt and tune itself. Only time will tell.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Stag556
Road Master

Originally Posted by RenoRider
I put mine on last week as well. Was really straight forward however small hands ( my Fiance's) came in handy to disconect the stock injector leads.

Still have stock pipes on my '12 Roadglide with a cat and a stage 1 Intake. Seems like the bike responds better and runs a bit cooler as well.

Need to get the cat off and replaced with some new pipes as soon as the wallet will allow.

Good product in my opinion for basic stage one set ups and maybe a small cam but that is the limit of this product I think with its limitations.

R/

RenoRider
I plan on eventually doing cams than the Fuel Moto 107" kit with this tuner so we will see how it holds up.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Stag556
Road Master

I was able to get out on the bike more today and take the bike up to highway speeds. I was told that this unit has a "learning curve" where it will learn your bike and calibrate itself. In normal traffic, the bike really gets up and goes. Still not that much popping from the exhaust which is a huge improvement.

When I got to highway speeds, I tried to stay at a certain speed for a certain period of time to see how the bike would react. I noticed at 80mph, the bike had a slight hesitation every now and then. If I dropped down in speed, it cleared right up and if I throttled the bike, the motor ran smooth as glass and accelerated hard. I wouldn't expect a bike to accelerate in 6th gear at 80mph but it took off like a bat out of hell.

The exhaust note is definitely deeper thatn it used to be as well.

I report back since I'm going on a long ride Thursday. I'm going to calculate mpg and see where that lands.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:16 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Well I'm loving mine. Ran through the cold season
installed a 2 into 1 exhaust and a K+N stage 1 intake.
after installing it and it learned it fine.
My bike runs strong and smooth at all speeds.
Don't plan on too much kits so we'll see how others keep up.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:57 PM
NDMECH
Intermediate

Are you running both the Power Commander and the cobra tuner.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cobra Auto Tuner