Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Trip to alaska

Old 03-21-2012, 03:57 PM
bufftuff
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trip to alaska

I am planning to leave central Mn and head up to central alaska on bikes mid june. Hoping to come back across the northern states on way home. Anybody done this or have suggestions for getting the most out of this expedition?

Old 03-21-2012, 04:53 PM
fenwicker
Advanced

Check out alaskacapade.com

Old 03-21-2012, 06:22 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this trip from Richmond, VA. 12,000 miles in 29 days all the way to the Arctic Circle in June 2010. You can read my blog and see pics in the link below. Post any questions or send me a message. Great trip!!!

Old 03-28-2012, 02:06 PM
bufftuff
6th Gear

Thanks for the help viewing the blogs been helpful and is getting me real excited.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:31 AM
knvduhon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jimclaypool
I did this trip from Richmond, VA. 12,000 miles in 29 days all the way to the Arctic Circle in June 2010. You can read my blog and see pics in the link below. Post any questions or send me a message. Great trip!!!
For some reason the blog or site isn't showing up on my phone could you repost it please

Old 03-31-2012, 04:46 AM
jimclaypool
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by knvduhon
For some reason the blog or site isn't showing up on my phone could you repost it please
The link in the signature line at the bottom of this post should work fine.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:41 AM
natetp1227
Advanced

The best thing that I can suggest is to buy "The Milepost." Make sure ad buy the newest edition. It has all the maps of Canada and Alaska with places to fill up an stay. It literally marks out every mile for you. I would make sure to drive Icefields Parkway between Banff and Jasper. That is some of the best scenary I have ever seen.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:33 AM
mcw999
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've done the Alcan twice. Lots of good advice on the web. Got snowed on in late June in the Yukon one trip. Take warm stuff, a Gerbing heated vest was really useful for me. Roads are good except where they are doing construction, then you are on gravel/dirt, either dust or mud, for 5-15 miles at a time. The stretch between Burwash landing and the Alaska/Canada border is terrible, it is built on permafrost and swamp. Allow more time there, you won't be going very fast.

On the way up, stop in the visitor center at Dawson Creek, at the big grain elevator, and pick up current info on road conditions and what gas stations are open. As you might expect, the gas stations are few and far between. Plan carefully. There are a few stations with premium but you will have to run on 86 or 87 octane much of the time.

Stop in Watson Creek and the visitor center, and take a look at the Sign Forest. Leave a sign of your own if you want.

Milepost is a great reference, except it is about the size of the Harley parts catalog! Also hard to read while riding. It's great for people in RV's.

It's an awesome trip, and it is a really long ride. Lots to see in Alaska, and on the way. Ride safe (watch out for moose and other animals!) and have a great time.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:20 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,588 Posts

I did the trip in 2000.
The roads are probably better now but I would recommend that you consider purchasing a lot of the clear 3M protective static tape, or just the blue masking tape to put on your bike in areas that are probe to bet gravel chips.
My lower fairings took a beating as did my trailer that I towed behind me.
Also, don't pass up any opportunity to use a spray car was to help keep the mud, and especially the silt build up on your bike.

I would also recommend that you consider that you check into making reservations on the ferry (Alaska Marine Hwy) back down to Washington.
You've already seen the road scenery and the ferry saves about 1,000 miles of beating up your bike and also gives you some time to reat up and party down!
The ferry has some very small rooms (two bunks) with a very small bathroom. If you can sleep in a chair they have them too and when I was there you could pitch a "free standing" tent on the open deck.

Heated hand grips or heated gloves and vest are a great idea but slao don't forget your rain gear and your longjohns, a leather neck dickie and a full face helmet!

Old 04-09-2012, 04:23 AM
mcw999
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Heated grips! Have them now and wish I had them on my Alcan trips. What ever they say about daily high temps up there, that happens for about ten minutes a day and the rest of the time it is cold. I was rarely warm.

Your bike is going to get really dirty. Gas is expensive and low octane. You will get cold and wet. And you will never forget the fantastic experience. Have a great time!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trip to alaska