Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust popping

Old 03-21-2012, 08:20 AM
brummie
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust popping

I own a 2005 road king..I had the chance recently to buy some python slip ons of a guy...I put them on OK...Then I read some where I should get a high flow filter, and the basic computer down load..So I did...But now I get quite a lot of exhaust popping on de- acceleration... I am not sure I like these pipes that much now..I was wandering if I could put the old pipes back on , with the computer down load and filter ...without any problems...It cost me $400 from the dealer to get the download and filter, I do not really buy a mapping unit..
Thanks brummie

Old 03-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Ribitt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

changing pipes doesn't effect anything.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:38 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 520 Likes on 361 Posts

maybe an exhaust leak???

Old 03-21-2012, 08:39 AM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not sure the extent of what the dealer download helps, but your bike is running lean and hot. I had the same issue with pipes and high flow air filter. I got a PC III, told Fuel Moto what I had, installed it and not another pop. Reading your spark plugs will tell you too whether its lean or not. Grey or white.....lean. Good luck

Old 03-21-2012, 11:08 AM
brummie
Intermediate
Default popping exhaust

Originally Posted by RaceFace
I'm not sure the extent of what the dealer download helps, but your bike is running lean and hot. I had the same issue with pipes and high flow air filter. I got a PC III, told Fuel Moto what I had, installed it and not another pop. Reading your spark plugs will tell you too whether its lean or not. Grey or white.....lean. Good luck
How can it be running lean, that download is supposed to make richer than stock..I have checked the exhaust there is no leak...I do not want to spend any more money on this problem..I was just talking to the mechanic, he said I could put the stock pipes on should be no problem, just check the plugs now and then. he was saying they come lean from the factory anyway...brummie

Old 03-21-2012, 11:58 AM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by brummie
How can it be running lean, that download is supposed to make richer than stock..I have checked the exhaust there is no leak...I do not want to spend any more money on this problem..I was just talking to the mechanic, he said I could put the stock pipes on should be no problem, just check the plugs now and then. he was saying they come lean from the factory anyway...brummie
That's what I'm not sure of.....how much the dealer's download richens it up. I know Fuel Moto can do anything and alter their downloads for the PC III. The dealers downloads are uncharted waters for me.

Think about a motor as a big air pump. The faster the air in, and the faster the air out....the more power you're going to make. IF the bike comes stock from the factory lean and you add a high flow air filter and new pipes, you are essentially pulling in more air and pushing out more air. More air requires more fuel. If its already lean, you're going to need more fuel than what the factory give you.....hence the programmable PC III. My guess is the dealer's download isnt providing enough fuel for your flow.

I had the EXACT same problem with a Ness Big Sucker filter and V&H true dual headers. Mine popped and ran hotter than hell. It sucked big time!! I finally bought the PC III from Fuel Moto.....bike runs like a top....nice and cool and powerful too! Best $200.00 or so bucks I've spent on the bike yet. Dealer download wasn't even an option to me.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've always classified dealer downloads as garbage. Not very effective to say the least.
You're popping can be coming from an exhaust leak where the slip-ons go over the header pipes. Sometimes you can cure it by putting some high temp (orange) silicon RTV on the header when you re-install those Pythons.
If that doesn't work you most likely have a tuning issue. FuelMoto and a PCIII are the cure.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:32 PM
brummie
Intermediate
Default popping exhaust

Originally Posted by RaceFace
That's what I'm not sure of.....how much the dealer's download richens it up. I know Fuel Moto can do anything and alter their downloads for the PC III. The dealers downloads are uncharted waters for me.

Think about a motor as a big air pump. The faster the air in, and the faster the air out....the more power you're going to make. IF the bike comes stock from the factory lean and you add a high flow air filter and new pipes, you are essentially pulling in more air and pushing out more air. More air requires more fuel. If its already lean, you're going to need more fuel than what the factory give you.....hence the programmable PC III. My guess is the dealer's download isnt providing enough fuel for your flow.

I had the EXACT same problem with a Ness Big Sucker filter and V&H true dual headers. Mine popped and ran hotter than hell. It sucked big time!! I finally bought the PC III from Fuel Moto.....bike runs like a top....nice and cool and powerful too! Best $200.00 or so bucks I've spent on the bike yet. Dealer download wasn't even an option to me.
Thanks for the info. it sounds like I may have to me up one of those gizmoes..time to get on ebay..Thanks again..brummie

Old 03-21-2012, 06:45 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before you spend more $$$$$$$$$$$$....make sure your pipes are all the way on and forward, move the clamps as close to the edge as possible and use the correct torque. Eliminate all possible sources of air leaks 1st.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:06 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 630 Likes on 502 Posts

and if its not man exhaust leak and u decide to call fuelmoto make sure to tell them u have the dealer download.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: exhaust popping